Is there a pedal that slows signal down?

Started by 11-90-an, July 13, 2020, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knobby

How did/does the Digitech Digital Whammy Pedal work? Is that the effect the OP is looking for?

patrick398

First thing that comes to mind is the ISD1820/2560 etc range of chips. You can adjust the sampling rate to speed up or slow down playback. There's no way of affecting the input in real time, only in play back. They're pretty fun to play around with, i tried hooking an LFO up to the playback speed which is fun, but to be honest it gets boring quickly

EBK

And, here is some Dori-slowed guitar, as promised.  I didn't bother tuning my guitar beforehand, but it sounds good enough so you can tell the pitch is the same on the slowed playback.  You can hear that the playback rate is a bit wonky"drunken".  That may or may not be by design (again, magic elf epoxy).  Also, the guitar isn't plugged in, so the volume is pretty low here.  First, I'm recording (awkwardly holding down the record button on the toy), then playing back on "whale speak" mode.

If there is any interest on this oddity, I can try to record something more substantial like a chord progression or a pentatonic lick. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bartimaeus

wow, that REALLY is lofi! there are some genres where that could be used really well tbh

technically speaking, you just need a flanger pedal right? ;)

this effect is different from a pitch shifter like a whammy, because a whammy will play back the pitch shifted audio over the same duration as the original signal.

if you just want your signal to play at half speed (for example), a ton of looper pedals have the ability to do that. the dl4 had it back in 1999, and i'm sure rack units had it even earlier. but of course, you need to record the loop, it's not constantly happening in real time. if you don't mind that it's only during playing of a recording, then check out the count to 5. really popular with ambient musicians, because you can get three buffers playing back at different slowed down speeds simultaneously to make chords and textures.

the red panda tensor can do this in real time. this quote is from the manual. hook up an expression pedal to the speed knob and i think you're set.
"SPEED: -100% to +100% —Tape speed effect.  Smoothly changes the playback speed, from forward (clockwise) to reverse (counter clockwise).  In the middle, the sound is stopped.  Reverse playback will play short segments of audio back-wards, simulating studio tricks where a tape is flipped over to create a reverse guitar solo.  The Tensor analyzes your playing to automatically adjust the size and timing of the reversed segments (See “Hold/Next (NXT) mode” on page 10or “Drift” on page 8 if you need more control)."

the tensor overcomes the back-up issue by playing back the audio in segments. so if you're playing back at half speed, you're only going to hear the half of each segment before it jumps to the next segment, since there isn't time for it to play the full segment.

11-90-an

@EBK really sounds "drunk"... looking forward to more... :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

@bartimaeus I don't want the pedal to have the flanging effect, and I don't want a looper for this application... Maybe next time.. ;)
flip flop flip flop flip

11-90-an

Quote from: patrick398 on July 14, 2020, 02:27:41 PM
First thing that comes to mind is the ISD1820/2560 etc range of chips. You can adjust the sampling rate to speed up or slow down playback. There's no way of affecting the input in real time, only in play back.
Made this schematic...

The op-amps can be TL072.
The 100k pots are 1 dual gang  pot to adjust sampling rate (not sure if configuration is correct)
10k pot is a clean mix
LFO is a square wave generator (should be set at 0.2 to 0.5hz only... maybe use a trimmer)

In this setup, the isd1820s are configured that when the LFO is high on pin 1, it would record (as long as it is high). When it is high on pin 3, it will play (as long as it is high). For example, when the LFO is high, the 1st 1820 will record, and the other will play. When the LFO is low, the the 1st 1820 will play, and the 2nd will record, and so on... the problem is, whem the footswitch is engaged, it would take about 2 to 5 seconds to start (due to recording time). I think it would make sense to not make this true bypass to avoid this... maybe a jfet switching system like in the boss pedals...

Thoughts?
flip flop flip flop flip