colorsound tremelo - OT?

Started by casey, October 17, 2003, 05:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casey

has anyone ever built the colorsound tremelo on fuzz central?
i am interested in building it, but wanted to know a build report.
any good or bad experiences?
Casey Campbell

moosapotamus

I haven't built it, myself. Just wanted to say that I don't think your post is OT at all. We're a DIY stompbox forum, right? :D

Oh, and if no one else replies to this thread, and you have any doubts about the colorsound, build a tremulus lune. You will not be sorry. :D

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

phillip

Hi Casey.  I haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet.  I would be grateful if someone could breadboard it and tell me how well it works.  Some of the stuff, like the LFO section, looks pretty standard to those older tremolos.

I just recently corrected the PCB and layout since the original that I redrew it from came from a Japanese magazine article that was posted here a while back, and little did I know, the xstrs had the B-C-E pinout.  The newest files on the site are corrected for the C-B-E pinout, but I would love if someone could compare the layout to the schematic to double-check for me  :)

Phillip

Marcos - Munky

I checked the layout and looks right to my eyes. I just have a question: in the schematic there is a transistor that the C goes to ground. Is this right, or the E goes to ground?

casey

yup, if i have some time, im going to try to build it.
ill let you know how it turns out if i do.

thanks for the info-

:)
Casey Campbell

phillip

The original schematic from the magazine shows the collector going to ground with the wiper arm of the "depth" pot feeding the emitter.

Phillip

RickL

I built it, from the schematic that was posted as "is this a tremolo?" before I knew it was the Color Sound. I thought I'd posted a short build report but a quick search didn't find it. Maybe you'll have more luck if you look longer.

If I remember correctly I said that it worked okay, had a sound about half way between a chopper trem and a sine wave trem, leaning towards the chopper sound and that  it cut out at the extremes of the speed pot (stopped tremming, the straight sound was still there). I may have also added a volume control to the output. If it's important I can check and refresh my memory. It's not the best, nor the worst, trem out there, but it does have the advantage of being an easy build.

Marcos - Munky

Thanks Philip for the transistor info and thanks Rick for the review.