Help me decide on an overdrive build

Started by spi, July 22, 2020, 05:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spi

Hi everyone,

this is my first post here, although I've been aware of the forum for years and used it for research/info in the past.

I have a double-size enclosure to build with, and want to do a stacked overdrive thing.  There will be at least one bluesbreaker-style overdrive because that's one kind I don't have.

I have narrowed down to two possibilities. 

1) Put two bluesbreaker-style circuits together (similar to what a KoT does).  Pros: it's a proven formula that people like.   Cons:  I find the idea of stacking two of the same circuit kind of silly.

2) Put a treble booster into a bluesbreaker.  Pros:  I don't have a dedicated boost pedal, so this would add one to my arsenal.  Cons:  I'm not sure how these two circuits gel with each other, although my impression is that a treble boost->marshall is a well-known kind of a sound that this might replicate.

Let me know what you think of either idea, or what you would do.

thanks!

GibsonGM

Hi Spi, and welcome to the forum!  I like your idea of a treble boost - be sure to see how it sounds ahead of the BB before you build, of course.

Another one I like is to follow an OD like the BB or a TS with a Mosfet Boost (see the AMZ link at top of the page).  It's pretty transparent but od's a tube amp front end very well, and I use mine for boosting leads...just an idea, I'm sure there will be others!

Have fun! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 22, 2020, 05:53:28 PM
with a Mosfet Boost

How peculiar for your Highness, Sir..  :icon_eek:

P.S.
Welcome Spi..!! :icon_smile:
(and don't get seriously the above internal joke - but DO get seriously what GibsonGM said..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

(it could just as easily be a JFET boost, opamp boost, or BJT-based thing like an LPB1, depending on your tastes...)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

MikeA

IMHO, a Bluesbreaker is pretty subtle until it's driven by something else, whether another BB or a boost as you mentioned.  If you do use two BB's, I predict you'll want to have both of them on together.  If you stack a different boost/OD in front of a BB, you'll have more flexibility.  A few of my favorites other than the usual suspects are the Ibanez MT10, the Pearl OD-05 and the Nobels ODR1.  First two are very flexible due to their tone stacks, and the third is just a good low-gain OD that stacks well (but does need a bass control, it's bottom-heavy otherwise.) 
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

The original Bluesbreaker might be a bit subtle, but it's not exactly a complicated design to tweak to taste. I've never built one, so I couldn't say for sure, but I can read a schematic. You could stack a treble booster into a hot-rodded Bluesbreaker to get more variety. After all, you can always turn it down...(Ok, no, you can't - you're a guitarist, I get it ;) ).

Ok, so...next question...which treble booster are you thinking of?

spi

Thanks for the responses so far!

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 23, 2020, 03:55:42 PM

I am thinking Naga Viper.

nocentelli

Quote from: spi on July 23, 2020, 04:10:20 PM
Thanks for the responses so far!

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 23, 2020, 03:55:42 PM

I am thinking Naga Viper.

Excellent choice
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..