INFANEM - Driving Notion Schematic

Started by EATyourGuitar, July 28, 2020, 01:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EATyourGuitar

I made this drawing. I released this drawing in to the public domain. I do not claim ownership over the name INFANEM. all trademarks are property of their respective owners. this drawing may not represent exactly the product sold under the name INFANEM. provided without warranty of any kind.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

EATyourGuitar

I see someone posted a Vero layout already. The charge pump was not included in the pedal. It is a 9v pedal that can also run on 18v for more headroom and more output. My only concern with the charge pump is that noise floor will be worse. You probably will have better results by using an isolated dedicated 18v or 9v supply. Anyway thanks for making a Vero layout. I appreciate you.

nocentelli

thanks for tracing this: it has a few interesting features you don't see that often in dirt boxes, a rare treat. also, it must have been a beast to trace with all the smd, so well done.

Also, that output is weird, isn't it? won't it have DC on the output signal to the amp?
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Scruffie

17 & 170k resistors, 7n5 caps, what sort of person does a thing like that.

marcelomd

Nice. Looks like a Box of Rock with a clean blend that I posted here some time ago.

nocentelli

Quote from: marcelomd on July 29, 2020, 06:12:50 PM
Nice. Looks like a Box of Rock with a clean blend that I posted here some time ago.

how is it like a box of rock?
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

imJonWain

Quote from: nocentelli on July 29, 2020, 05:45:20 PM
thanks for tracing this: it has a few interesting features you don't see that often in dirt boxes, a rare treat. also, it must have been a beast to trace with all the smd, so well done.

Also, that output is weird, isn't it? won't it have DC on the output signal to the amp?

It wasn't super easy to trace but it wasn't horrible.  I sorted out the parts that made sense and just went over in iterations until it was all done.

There's actually an output Cap and 470k pull down resistor after the 10k output pot missing from that schematic.
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

marcelomd

Quote from: nocentelli on July 29, 2020, 07:12:40 PM
Quote from: marcelomd on July 29, 2020, 06:12:50 PM

how is it like a box of rock?

One gain stage at the front. Two gain/clipping stages for distortion on one side. A buffer/booster on the other. Passive blend into a last stage. All transistors.

To me, they look similar. I'm not implying they sound anything close =)

EATyourGuitar

EATyourGuitar

about the cap values. 308nF was changed to 330nF. 950 and 1100nF were all changed to 1000nF. think %5 caps. I put the 7n5 so you can decide what it is. I don't want to say 4n7 or 10n. that would be unfair to everyone who wants to build a clone. some of the resistor values are exactly what was measured if they had no marking or the resistor was upside down. most of these caps were measured in circuit by a cheap LCR meter not calibrated. C8 was desoldered and measured with a cheap LCR meter. salt and pepper to taste. dark or whatever. if people don't like it they can change the values and share it. everything is in phase. the EQ is not an EQ at all. this is a very interesting pedal. to do parallel FX with multiple pedals and getting the phase right is a trick of the pros. nice to have it in a box on easy mode.

soggybag

This is very interesting. If I'm getting the gist of it, its a jfet input buffer that splits the signal into a high and full range circuit. The high range is sort of transistor overdrive with a Bazz Fuss on the end. The full range is another transistor overdrive. The whole thing is summed in mixing output buffer.

If Hemo only knew the legacy of the Bazz Fuss.

soggybag

Seems like an easy mod here might be to turn the Bazz Fuss stage into a Big Muff/Muff Fuzz/Easy Drive stage.

EATyourGuitar

EATyourGuitar

to anyone who already purchased a PCB from me. the correct resistor and capacitor values are available thanks to the contributions of Dead End FX. I could not have got this far this fast without the help of Dead End FX so I must give them credit for saving my PCB project and bringing it back to life. I know it wasn't done as charity to help me but at least they decided to go open source in the end after initially it was proprietary to dead end FX. R1 is not wrong at 68R but if you want less noise, more sag, you can use the 470R value as you will find in the dead end FX schematic. in this image you will find my mistakes on the left and the possible solutions on the right. it should be noted that these are the opinions of dead end FX and not necessarily the values found in the INFANEM pedal. With that being said, I would trust the experience of Dead End FX more than my own experience. I also don't have access to anyone at INFANEM who can confirm the correct component values. I suggest anyone who purchased a PCB from me use the updated component values on the right and install some hand picked high gain NPN selected for reverse gain in positions Q6 and Q7 (installed backwards to the silk screen footprint).