Homebrew debug

Started by kierkegaard, July 30, 2020, 03:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierkegaard

have been steadily developing a simple diode clipping circuit, with help on this wonderful forum

just got it all hooked up in vero and im hitting blanks

i get audio coming through nice and clean without any power, but as soon as i plug in ground or 9v it cuts to complete silence

ill post up my vero layout and schematic later, just wondering if there is something obvious to check if its power thats giving me the problem

kierkegaard

pictures of schematic and the vero that i have built

willienillie

Are there cuts under the horizontal caps and resistors on your vero?

What voltages do you get on your JFET pins?

11-90-an

ok.. here's a useful tip in using any layout software program...
Set the opacity of your COMPONENTS to about 75% or lower so you can see what's UNDER them in the future...

Also, when it comes to troubleshooting, we need pictures of your build too... :icon_biggrin:
flip flop flip flop flip

kierkegaard

did do the underneath cuts but 75% opacity is a great idea! just realised i didnt do them on the design

fortunately though i now works!!!

i went to check the voltage on my j201 and was getting 0v for all pins, then followed it back to 9v and my resistor wasnt soldered properly

in hindsight i should have checked it before posting but i never know what voltages im actually looking for so i get scared of just taking measurements and they mean nothing

how do you guys learn what voltages you are looking for?

11-90-an

You only have one JFET to get voltages from... :icon_wink: (Think about the people who try to debug those old room-size computers! :icon_eek:)

From other threads from other people who learn from other people that learned from other people who bithered getting readings feom their working pedals. 8)

Really. It's a long learning process  :icon_biggrin:
flip flop flip flop flip

duck_arse

Quote from: kierkegaard on July 31, 2020, 04:47:01 AM

how do you guys learn what voltages you are looking for?

take the measures. work some ohm's law. doesn't add up? just ask. nothing to be scared of.

one more request - please - trim all the whitespace from those layouts and circuit diagrams. marquee select, drag to near top-left corner, crop the rest away. some people are put off by mutiple mouse clicks and windows just to get an image sized readable. thank you.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

And please, utilize the nasty habit to make circuit & layout identical..
(I know it's time consuming but imagine a guy followed your schematic to wonder the reason for setting VR1 at both extreme ends without any gain variation..) :icon_wink:

edit:  :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

willienillie

I'll help cover your tracks this time, Antonis.

And no, I don't know any Greek jokes.  ;)