NEED help with noise in bread boarding room (near at&t phone/internet hub)

Started by jimitrader, August 02, 2020, 12:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimitrader

Hi..I need help with noise in bread boarding/electronics hobby room (near at&t phone/internet hub)in my house i have a small room that i do electronics, and while i am testing pedals after soldering or during bread boarding I get a horrible high pitched squealing noise constantly..i am using a Roland micro amp with batteries and a 9v wall wart for power. the att system is on the outside of the house with a land line just inside in the same room im in. is there a known way to deal with this? its been going on for awhile and is really buggin me..anyone know of a fix or work around?

11-90-an

But when you play your guitar straight to the amp, is there still this high pitched noise?

Maybe cover your whole room with aluminium foil and grounding it, like how one would ground an enclosure... :icon_lol:(its very impractical and wxpensive thouh...)
flip flop flip flop flip

deadastronaut

stick a 100uf cap across your +/- rail on the breadboard....worth a try
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

davent

Do boxed pedals behave in the hobby room, the amps fine, only unboxed circuits give issue?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

jimitrader

Quote from: davent on August 03, 2020, 11:25:09 AM
Do boxed pedals behave in the hobby room, the amps fine, only unboxed circuits give issue?
dave
all pedals even store bought..will check about straight in to amp..i think that does it as well but only that room

jimitrader

Quote from: davent on August 03, 2020, 11:25:09 AM
dave
Quote from: 11-90-an on August 02, 2020, 11:51:28 PM
But when you play your guitar straight to the amp, is there still this high pitched noise?

Maybe cover your whole room with aluminium foil and grounding it, like how one would ground an enclosure... :icon_lol:(its very impractical and wxpensive thouh...)

that is funny..thanx

Marcos - Munky

We don't know if the noise is coming from the power line (like when you plug a non grounded tube amp and a desktop pc at the same wall socket) or if it's some electromagnectic field that's reaching your guitar pickups (like when you put your guitar near some other electronic devices and starts to hear noises).

Try to run the amp using a battery, and just one store bought pedal, also using a battery. This way, you'll test the possibility of the noise being coming from the wall socket power line. If this solves the problem, then it'll be just a matter of building some sort of power filter.

PRR

Since you have a battery amp.... plug "something" (guitar, cord, pedal) into the amp so you get the squeal, and move it around for maximum squeal. That's probably the culprit.

Yes, a combination DSL/WiFi, you may have trouble knowing which side is squealing.
  • SUPPORTER

kraal

Depending on what is affected, you can try to create a small faraday cage and put your breadboard inside it.
You could also build a "slightly" bigger one and put yourself, your guitar, amp and pedals inside it (but do not put other electronic devices) :-)

A quick search on google gave my the following link: https://backyardbrains.com/experiments/faraday

jimitrader

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 03, 2020, 03:09:50 PM
We don't know if the noise is coming from the power line (like when you plug a non grounded tube amp and a desktop pc at the same wall socket) or if it's some electromagnectic field that's reaching your guitar pickups (like when you put your guitar near some other electronic devices and starts to hear noises).

Try to run the amp using a battery, and just one store bought pedal, also using a battery. This way, you'll test the possibility of the noise being coming from the wall socket power line. If this solves the problem, then it'll be just a matter of building some sort of power filter.
thanks... tried all options no luck

Marcos - Munky

So, if you still get the noise, that means it's caused by electromagnectic fields being picked by the guitar pickups or some part of the signal chain. Do you have the noise if you connect just the amp and a pedal, with no guitar, and both powered by batteries?