Fuzz Face issues: 9v @ Q2, no sound, switch pop....

Started by DJPsychic, August 02, 2020, 02:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPsychic

Just finished boxing a Fuzz Face that I've done before, except I added a DC jack and a 1M @ input for switch pop.

I'm getting 9v @ Collector of Q2, no sound, and switch pop. Bypass works.

What is the usual culprit?

antonis

Quote from: DJPsychic on August 02, 2020, 02:14:03 PM
What is the usual culprit?

The absence of the rest of measurements..!!!  :icon_mrgreen:

+9V on Q2 Collector means Q2 is completely cut-off..!!
Maybe due to open Emitter, maybe due to open Base, maybe due to gremlins..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

• SUPPORTER

jimitrader

make sure all grounds are connected good..also look for cold solder joint...check with audio probe and also with mm check where the 9v power stops may be a dead component..star at right where the 9v comes in and follow till it stops?. :icon_cool:

DJPsychic

Sorry just had a chance to check phone.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go through it tonight.

everything appears to be grounded correctly but will look at it closer. Just spent half the day wiring it, sick of looking at it! Lol :icon_evil:

DJPsychic

willienillie

Quote from: DJPsychic on August 03, 2020, 03:43:19 PM
The only difference from layout is VOL is grounded on "L2" of Input jack.

Actually L1, ring.  But why?  I mean, it should still work.

Bigger picture, the layout you used appears to be for NPN silicon transistors.  It looks like you used germanium transistors, are they NPN or PNP?

What is your 3rd pot?  Nevermind, I figured that one out.

DJPsychic

Quote from: willienillie on August 03, 2020, 04:14:03 PM
Quote from: DJPsychic on August 03, 2020, 03:43:19 PM
The only difference from layout is VOL is grounded on "L2" of Input jack.

Actually L1, ring.  But why?  I mean, it should still work.

Bigger picture, the layout you used appears to be for NPN silicon transistors.  It looks like you used germanium transistors, are they NPN or PNP?

What is your 3rd pot?

Oh yes sorry, CV7112 NPN

So looking at back of enclosure, Top left is "Fuzz"" pot, top right is my "Bias" (basically Fuller 69 pot at input), and middle pot is "VOL"

Marcos - Munky

Ah crap, I don't like veroboards at all. Can't really understand them, too much for my mind.

But while I don't know if I can really help with your problem, I can do something else:
- the "bottom" trace cut seems to be not really cutting the trace. While the other ones have a nice hole cutting the trace, the bottom one seems to still have a bit of copper at the top part.
- at the bottom of the layout, the 6n8 cap and 1K resistor are shorted. Their both legs are connected together by the copper trace. You have to do a "cut" (a hole, like the other ones you did) between the legs of the cap and between the legs of the resistor.

DJPsychic

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 03, 2020, 04:53:40 PM
Ah crap, I don't like veroboards at all. Can't really understand them, too much for my mind.

But while I don't know if I can really help with your problem, I can do something else:
- the "bottom" trace cut seems to be not really cutting the trace. While the other ones have a nice hole cutting the trace, the bottom one seems to still have a bit of copper at the top part.
- at the bottom of the layout, the 6n8 cap and 1K resistor are shorted. Their both legs are connected together by the copper trace. You have to do a "cut" (a hole, like the other ones you did) between the legs of the cap and between the legs of the resistor.

Oh man I think you're right. I went back in my files and I think I used this layout originally...

It shows I'm missing a cut under the "6n8"

Marcos - Munky

You're missing a cut under the 6n8 cap and also one under the resistor. Or else the resistor won't be doing nothing at all. I don't believe shorting this resistor is enough to fry your transistor by too much voltage on the collector, but still.

DJPsychic

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 03, 2020, 05:18:02 PM
You're missing a cut under the 6n8 cap and also one under the resistor. Or else the resistor won't be doing nothing at all. I don't believe shorting this resistor is enough to fry your transistor by too much voltage on the collector, but still.

I don't think I've ever had a cut under the 1k.

It's hard to read but there's a 10k trim pot between the 1k and Collector of Q2

"T1" & "T3" on my layout represent the legs of the trim pot

DJPsychic

Added the cut under the 6n8 and still getting 9v @ Collector of Q2.

Trim pot has not effect.

Maybe one of the NOS resistors went bad?

antonis

Could you plz post a precise schematic of your layout..?? :icon_mrgreen:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Phend

Should have used the point to point method. Sans wood box.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

DJPsychic

Quote from: antonis on August 04, 2020, 03:46:09 PM
Could you plz post a precise schematic of your layout..?? :icon_mrgreen:

I do not. Still a noob using "paint by numbers"  ;)

DJPsychic

Quote from: Phend on August 04, 2020, 05:02:12 PM
Should have used the point to point method. Sans wood box.

Not sure I understand? ???

Phend

This is a 1970s Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz circuit . (Purchased) point to point at its tightest. Even back then the challenge was to get er in the smallest box possible. Note the clean sollldering.
Wood box, well just a wood box enclosure, yer all set with yours.
Anyway sorry for interupting , back to letting the experts help you debug your cool circuit. Nice job. Stay safe.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

DJPsychic

antonis