Help! Trying to debug one side of queen of bone 2 pedal build (KoT Clone)

Started by Aber335, August 02, 2020, 04:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aber335

Hi,
I have built my first pedal which was a pretty amazing experience! Then it didn't work. I made a mistake that could have been avoided had I known that the old Boss 9v (ACA-120) power supply I own was actually a 12v! Live and learn. I found out because when lights went and the pedal didn't work I used my multimeter to test the voltage and found out it was over 12v! Anyway, problem identified I swapped it for the correct 9v power supply. Switches turn both lights on and off as they should but now only the right side works. When plugged in to 1/4 inch leads left side LED will light up regardless of whether it is turned on or not and get brighter when turned on despite not making noice. It pops noticably when turned on but just a hiss kind of sound. No actually guitar signal through that side. Also, I am aware that I mistakenly switched two pots (100kA and 100kB) which if I can get this working plan to fix. Also I swapped left and right side chips and had the same problem.
Any advice would be appreciated! been reading through tons of troubleshooting guides without luck.
Build details can be found here - https://rullywow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Queen-of-Bone-v2-Build-Doc-REVISED-v2.pdf
Thanks

I tested the ICs as follows

IC 1
1. 8.50
2. 8.51
3. 4.26
4. .12
5. 8.31 (seemed to be jumping around a bit)
6. 15.16
7. 8.46
8. 13.48

IC 2
1. 8.47
2. 8.48
3. 4.22
4. .05
5. 15.35 (seemed to jump around to 8.28 etc)
6. 15.36 (seemed to jump around)
7. 8.50
8. 16.91

IC 3
1. 8.89
2. 4.54
3. .07
4. 4.15
5. 3.95
6. 4.36
7. 3.73
8. 8.88

GGBB

The LED problem suggests that you may have a bad switch. The LED is controlled only by the switch, so if it is on when it shouldn't be, the switch is not doing its job properly. Use your meter to verify the switch connections/disconnections.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Could be camera glare but...

It looks like there is a solder bridge on 3PDT2 between the lower left lug and the lower center lug.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Aber335

Wow! It worked! I think there was some solder bridging 3PDT2 or maybe underneath The PCB. I removed the old solder and reconnected and the issue seems to have resolved itself! Lights up as it should and sound out of both sides. Thanks guys for the quick advice. Unfortunately it's too late here to crank it up and see how it sounds. Cheers!!!!!