Large aluminum enclosure?

Started by seten, August 03, 2020, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seten

Anyone know a good supplier for big boxes? Trying to make a one octave midi controller so room for 12 footswitches + 2 more for octaves - im thinking about 18" long and 6" wide, not very concerned about depth. Sloped or not would be fine, powdercoated would be great but not necessary

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Steben

CAMDENBOSS enclosures

Hammond 1456 series
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Mark Hammer

Just a side-note that the U.S. has imposed a 10% duty on aluminum products from Canada.  Hammond enclosures are made in Canada, or at least head office is here.  I have no idea if the duty is on finished products or simply raw aluminum stock., and (cough, cough) I'm not sure if those who imposed the duty are either.  I'm sure Steve Daniels or someone equally informed will tell us.

davent

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 07, 2020, 02:30:05 PM
Just a side-note that the U.S. has imposed a 10% duty on aluminum products from Canada.  Hammond enclosures are made in Canada, or at least head office is here.  I have no idea if the duty is on finished products or simply raw aluminum stock., and (cough, cough) I'm not sure if those who imposed the duty are either.  I'm sure Steve Daniels or someone equally informed will tell us.

Over the years i've had Hammonds lettered inside as Made in Canada, Made in the EU and the last batch bought from Digikey half a dozen years ago, the Hammond label on the wrapper says made in Taiwan, (1590B).
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

GGBB

Quote from: davent on August 07, 2020, 05:28:39 PM

Over the years i've had Hammonds lettered inside as Made in Canada, Made in the EU and the last batch bought from Digikey half a dozen years ago, the Hammond label on the wrapper says made in Taiwan, (1590B).
dave

Me too. I've bought Hammond 1590N1 boxes locally here in Toronto from A1 parts that were made in Taiwan as well as Canada. I think I had one that was USA made as well - or am I imagining that?
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

My favorite for long enclosures is rectangular aluminum extruision or steel framing members. These can be had in lengths up to 20 feet (!) and 6" to 8" wide, 2" to 4" deep. They're cheap, and you just get them cut to length. There is more metalworking to do, but it's not complicated.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

Quote from: GGBB on August 07, 2020, 05:45:29 PM
Quote from: davent on August 07, 2020, 05:28:39 PM

dave

Me too. I've bought Hammond 1590N1 boxes locally here in Toronto from A1 parts that were made in Taiwan as well as Canada. I think I had one that was USA made as well - or am I imagining that?

There is a good possibility that we have met but not recognized each other - I used to spend a lot of time browsing through A1.

davent

Announced as history today, counter tariffs were to go into effect today, and, i believe was to be only on raw aluminum. At least big news up here.

https://financialpost.com/news/economy/u-s-removes-canada-aluminum-tariffs-amid-retaliation-threat
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

jfrabat

The Hammond 1402 series looks pretty cool.  I have used them for some gear I made.  They are NOT cheap, but the are nice looking and very durable.

I get them from Mouser.
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

PRR

Quote from: davent on September 15, 2020, 04:31:24 PMAnnounced as history today, counter tariffs were to go into effect today, and, i believe was to be only on raw aluminum. At least big news up here. https://financialpost.com/news/economy/u-s-removes-canada-aluminum-tariffs-amid-retaliation-threat

Yes, RAW aluminum. Hammond boxes are alloys, or at least mixtures. And "unwrought". I dunno if the taxman knows a difference.
"United States will resume duty-free treatment of non-alloyed, unwrought aluminum"
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: PRR on September 15, 2020, 11:58:11 PM
I dunno if the taxman knows a difference.

That probably depends on what Harmonised System (HS) code you put on the customs declaration when you import it.

Sometimes those get filled in incorrectly and a lesser duty rate finishes up being paid. Just saying' ;)

amptramp

You said you wanted large?

We have a thread for "Large aluminum enclosure?" but the last post to it was 19 August 2011, so it is buried on page 5 of the Pictures subforum.

davent

brokenstarguitar

Not sure this is any help but i have 2 1550j enclosures and 12x12x12 enclosure that ive had for quite some time if anyones interested. Just reimburse what i paid and theyre yours.

bartimaeus

i made an eight-footswitch MIDI controller using one of these. what if you just put two of them side-by-side? it'd be light, relatively cheap, and definitely wide enough. you could easily drill holes in the sides to route wires between them, or even weld two together.

https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/enclosure-sheetmetal-hammond-1411wu/