Guitar pedal art mockup

Started by winnetouch, August 09, 2020, 08:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winnetouch

Hy guys,

I've been quitely lurking around these forums for a VERY long time :P. I've only built a couple of projects to be honest but I did do some art for pedals and guitars. Recently I started building my own pedals again but I noticed there are no freely available mockups on the internet. So... If anyone needs a mockup... I made one. You need Photoshop to use it though. This is for the people that are more on the artistic side of pedal building ;). It also includes a brushed metal layer if you don't want to paint your pedal. The file is sort of big since this really didn't start as something I wanted to share so somethings aren't really that optimised. But it's very usable.

You can find the mockup files here: https://www.viki.si/guitar-stompbox-mockup/

This is the actual pedal from the file (I ran out of knobs though):

analogMensch

I really like the illuminated switch ring! Not my color of light (I think I would red for a blue case), but it fits for the design at all :)

I always use photos and make it a bit more graphic art design with some filters in photoshop.

winnetouch

Quote from: analogMensch on August 09, 2020, 08:31:50 AM
I really like the illuminated switch ring! Not my color of light (I think I would red for a blue case), but it fits for the design at all :)

I always use photos and make it a bit more graphic art design with some filters in photoshop.

Yeah, I had this switch already (If I'd get the choice I'd go with pure white) to be honest and the label is a DIY self adhesive label printed at home (decals are hard to come by in Slovenia), so no white color. Otherwise I'd go full color on this sucker :P.

analogMensch

I also print my photos on white labels (hate to mess around with decals) and cover it with clear paint layer by layer. It's a long way, cause you only can put on really thin layers at the start without ruin the inkjet paint. But if you have some nice sunny days, it's possible to do many layers on one days.

davent

Can't get decal paper, if you have a laser printer you can print your image in reverse to regular printer paper. Glue the image face down with acrylic, artists medium, let it dry. Once dry wet the paper with water and rub the paper off, leaves the toner on the enclosure.

I stopped with decals long ago and do this instead.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

winnetouch

Quote from: davent on August 09, 2020, 11:41:43 AM
Can't get decal paper, if you have a laser printer you can print your image in reverse to regular printer paper. Glue the image face down with acrylic, artists medium, let it dry. Once dry wet the paper with water and rub the paper off, leaves the toner on the enclosure.

dave

Do you have any images to show? I'm interested how this looks. The stickers I use don't look half bad it's just that they can't produce white colors because they are transparent. I imagine your method can't either if I understood it correctly.

davent

Quote from: winnetouch on August 09, 2020, 12:34:42 PM

dave

Do you have any images to show? I'm interested how this looks. The stickers I use don't look half bad it's just that they can't produce white colors because they are transparent. I imagine your method can't either if I understood it correctly.

Info in old threads, lots of pictures but hosted by photobucket, i can still them fine, hopefully others can.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100194.msg880923#msg880923
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

analogMensch

Oh, sounds like a nice idea! I will thy this with my workbench looper and my split box. If it doesn't come out well it's no so bad, cause I only use these on my workbench and now it's labeled with a permanent pen  :icon_mrgreen: So anything will be better than labeling it every three months cause the color is rubbed down  :icon_wink:

winnetouch

Still no white color with this method though. Only if the pedal is white from the start.

davent

No white, only have a black toner, laser printer. Need to find another work around for that. Pulsar has a kit that enables white and other colours to be laid down once you get over the learning curve great results can be had, Decalpro Kit. Haven't tried it or invested in the kit but have seen others successes.

dave