Plexi Drive into power amp (sim)

Started by rutgerv, August 14, 2020, 03:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutgerv

Hi pedal wizzards,

I'm considering to build myself a clone of the Wampler Plexi Drive but wondere about its voicing. I see most people using it as a distortion pedal, plugging it into a regular guitar amp input (clean). I would like to use it more as a pre amp, plugging straight into a power amp (or simulator) and cabinet.

I know most guitar pre amps boost the high end quite abit and I was wondering if Brian Wampler designer the plexi drive to compensate for this (I see filters at the end of the last jfet stage)? If so, should these be removed when plugging straight into a power amp?

R.

FiveseveN

Hi there!
Quote from: rutgerv on August 14, 2020, 03:36:11 PM
I know most guitar pre amps boost the high end quite abit
It's more the other way around: most dirt boxes roll off the high end to compensate for the added harmonics and the top emphasis present in most amp "clean" channels. So any pedal that sounds shrill (and scooped) up front could probably benefit from being used as a preamp instead. And since you're building it you can modify the tone stack to suit your tastes and needs.
If by poweramp simulation you mean DSP, I'm sure the same platform would also offer some additional form of tone control.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?