DIY Metal cases

Started by AudioSte, June 01, 2021, 06:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AudioSte

I started to build simple Aluminium cases by myself since it's cheaper then buying them and since I can do them of the exact size I need.
Plus I enjoy DIY ;)
I only use tools for hobbyst (low cost).
I still have some problems bending the sheet at the right angle and distance.
Any suggestions?

You can see a video on how I do it currently here:

Rixen

bend up some test coupons to determine an accurate place to set your fold lines. The metal stretches when you bend it, K value: https://www.thefabricator.com/thefabricator/article/bending/k-factors-y-factors-and-press-brake-bending-precision

PRR

> Any suggestions?

You are doing better than I ever did. But I have seen it done right. My *suggestions*, as little as they may be worth:

As said: test coupons!! A strip of the same metal (thickness, alloy, and grain direction), carefully measured and precisely bent. That is the only way to know how much you "lose" in the bend.

Set up comfortable and solid!! Maybe it is the camera, or stage fright, but this looks really awkward and rushed. The saw jams your butt rearward, the vacuum hose is underfoot, the cord and the misc junk table restrict you to the front, the brake table wobbles, and the operator is jerking it. This contrasts to your lovely saw-sled and technique.

• SUPPORTER

AudioSte

Thanks for replies. I'll fix the table to the floor (now I just keep it down with my foot  :icon_eek:)
I'll also keep it clean. Unfortunately the entire place where I practice is less then 9 square m  :'( so the bender (and my butt  ;D ) are sacrificed.