News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

How can this be?

Started by Guitarist335, August 18, 2020, 05:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarist335

I have built this circuit a few times, and successfully.

This time around however, i decided to change the op amp and use the 4558D op amp.

While I was building it, I was paranoid about building the voltage divider part of the circuit, and so i tested it with a meter along the way. It was sending the correct voltage.

I built the entire circuit and the meter measurements from the negative terminal of my 9 volt battery, and the various pins, seemed to be okay. (I shorted pin 6 and 7) to disable the second part of the op amp.

But all of a sudden, without my changing anything, all of my measurements from all the pins on the op amp, shot up to over 8 volts. Even Pin 4 , which is suppossed to be ground, is over 8 volts. 

How can this be? Even the point of the volktage divider where it should read half the voltage, is over 8 volts. See attached pics (my build, front and back and the schematic i am building from)

P.S. Here is the datasheet for the op amp.  https://components101.com/ics/lm4558-dual-op-amp-pinout-datasheet

I did not know what to do with Pin 5. Was I supposed to send that to ground- is that what could have caused this?

Thanks for your time.

11-90-an

How's your battery?

I think you may have some shorts in your board... try reflowing
flip flop flip flop flip

bluebunny

Sounds like you may have lost your ground connection.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Guitarist335

Thanks guys.  Will check it out