1 beginner 4 pedals

Started by ghiekorg, September 06, 2020, 05:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghiekorg

It does :D as soon as the case is dry and set i will record something (i messed up the painting today so probably it will happen tomorrow).
Btw i think i will not paint cases anymore... It's nice and fun to make decals but 1) a hate to wait and 2) the clear finish is not good for something that goes on the floor. I haven't used it yet and the tentacol is all scratched underneath... Next time a nice dinosaur sticker and ready to go 😁 (i am already deciding what's next to build 8))

duck_arse

volts. yes, when measuring voltages in the circuit, you need the circuit powered up. no audio input - that just confuses the situation.

when measuring ohms, ALWAYS power is off to the circuit. the resistance measures can/may take time to settle, but in general, voltage measures should be bang on and steady in a very short time.
don't make me draw another line.

ghiekorg

Quote from: duck_arse on September 25, 2020, 11:43:00 AM
volts. yes, when measuring voltages in the circuit, you need the circuit powered up. no audio input - that just confuses the situation.

when measuring ohms, ALWAYS power is off to the circuit. the resistance measures can/may take time to settle, but in general, voltage measures should be bang on and steady in a very short time.

Ahhh. sorry, i thought it should be always off.  :icon_redface: Ok, now touching the + i get 3.45 while on the - i get 0, so i guess the polarity is correct, even though it's not 4,5

jfrabat

Quote from: duck_arse on September 25, 2020, 11:43:00 AM

When measuring resistance of a resistor installed in a circuit, keep in mind that if there is only one way for electricity to flow, the resistance will measure correctly, but if there is more than one path (say, through a bunch of other resistors), then your readings will be out of whack.  If you want to verify a specific resistor to be sure it is the correct resistance, you need to desolder one of the legs, and take that leg out of the circuit.  Then you can be 100% sure that the reading is accurate.

Resistors in series are easy to calculate (so, if you are missing a 47K resistor, for example, but you have a 20K and a 27K, you can put them in series and replace both of them for the 47K resistors).  But resistors in parallel get A LOT more complicated.  Say you put the same 20K and 27K resistors in parallel, now you have a resistance of ~12.5K (not what you were expecting, right?  That one took some time for me - a non-engineer - to wrap my head around!).  It gets even more confusing (a little) when you have both parallel and series...  Especially if you forget to identify that there is another resistor you did not account for.  Well, I have heard, because...  hmmm..  well, lets say I have never done that and leave it at that!   :icon_lol:
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

ghiekorg

Thanks for all these infos... There is so much stuff to learn  :icon_eek:

I just finished the Chasm, which i called Baratro. Of course the boxing was a pain in neck and when closed it didn't work (i think it happened with all my pedals, because i made the layout without the board (small detail) and also because i always keep the pots as low as possible and i lose 2mm in depth so i have to squeeze the board and it shorts somewhere...). I have to plan better next times.

Anyways... here is the pedal 😊  (yes the paint is not so good, but i didn't wanna wait so i placed a fan in front of the pedal the whole evening. I actually finished painting it 6 hours before starting to put the pots etc. so there is also some fingerprint 😁 )

And here is a clip: sorry the sound quality, it's 2am, i am tired, i was on the floor and the volume is really low due to the neighbours... Probably i am also quite out of tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ThDD5IVnc (i love the stuff that happens at 1:40)

And with this i think we can consider my thread closed.:D

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me thru this, i would have never made it without you guys.   I learn a lot of cool things and i had a lot of fun (and mess around and sweat).

It has been a lot i had this idea in mind and initially i though it was stupid to make a thread like this and that maybe nobody would have been interested, instead now i am super happy i did it and in the end i have 4 new pedals :D weird enough i never been a pedal person myself. I never had a pedal (just one: a behringer hd3000 i think it was) till pretty much a year ago. Maybe it's the beginning of a love story? 8)

I already have 3-4 other pedals i wanna build. But in case i will open another thread about them 😊

Thank a lot everyone!

p.s. today i found a super fast way to transfer the toner to the copper (i saw it in the past but i don't know why i didn't try): just print on glossy magazine paper, cut, place it on the copper, add acetone on top and then just let it dry (like 30 seconds). remove the paper, done. If i knew it before it would have saved me a lot of time. And magazine paper is cheaper then Photopaper

Mark Hammer

Congratulations on completing your "mission".  For the future - because I am certain you won't stop building now - consider 125-B enclosures.  Yes they do not permit as many controls or switches to be spaced conveniently apart, but they are taller enough that there is lots of space between controls and the board, and more importantly, between the board and the enclosure.

11-90-an

Nice!  :icon_biggrin:

Now it's compressor time... 8)

You can start with the Poor Man's Compressor, Engineer's Thumb or the Orange Squeezer, Orange Smoothie...  ;)

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=124777
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97123.0
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105342.0

flip flop flip flop flip

ghiekorg

@mark hammer: thank you I will certainly keep that in mind, it has been less funny part for me. And now I am a bit wrried that with a shake they could stop working :/ i will check them now

@11-90-an: i have already an mxr compressor i paid a lot on my pedalboard :D i thinki will go for some modulation and delay stuff. i have 4-5 idea for them but i will make just 2 i guess now... maybe 3?

11-90-an

flip flop flip flop flip

jfrabat

Quote from: 11-90-an on September 26, 2020, 07:38:17 PM
Pt2399 time... ;)

Those are a pain...  You have to try a bunch to find one that wont lock up!  I have more than 10 of those laying around!
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

ghiekorg

The place where i buy the stuff says: "we test every 2399". I hope so :D