Battery and Wart power

Started by savethewhales, September 09, 2020, 06:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savethewhales

Hello! I come to this topic kinda late and for one reason:

I'm looking to use, in my pedal, a 9V battery AND a 9V Power supply that would interchange (when one is active the other is not etc), and I wanted to ask if anybody here could help me design that, or if knows anything that could help me in this matter.

I searched on the web and here on the forum, and didn't seem to find the answers I wanted, and that's why I'm replying to this post.

I hope this reaches anybody experient and therefore that anybody can help me design that.

Thank you for the attention,

Fred

Scruffie

An 11 year old topic and an unrelated question... you are allowed to start your own thread! :)

But, you just need a switched power jack from what it sounds like you're saying to me, nothing special to design, something like this - https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-enclosed-frame-with-switch.html

When the power jack is removed, the tab inside connects to the battery terminal and switches it over for you.

savethewhales

Quote from: Scruffie on September 09, 2020, 06:16:01 PM
An 11 year old topic and an unrelated question... you are allowed to start your own thread! :)

But, you just need a switched power jack from what it sounds like you're saying to me, nothing special to design, something like this - https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-enclosed-frame-with-switch.html

When the power jack is removed, the tab inside connects to the battery terminal and switches it over for you.

You are so right, sir., sorry for that. As I'm kinda new here, I'm just still learning how to's here in stompboxes.

Fact is I didn't find a thread regarding that exclusive matter.

I guess the link you sent is exactly what I want. Would it be that easy? it's just connecting it, then it switches to the 9V power supply and stops using the battery? and when I unplug, it connects to the battery? Seems so right that I even have doubts about that.   

11-90-an

Yes indeed, it works. Many people have done it already.   :icon_biggrin:
flip flop flip flop flip

Scruffie

Quote from: savethewhales on September 09, 2020, 09:26:25 PM

You are so right, sir., sorry for that. As I'm kinda new here, I'm just still learning how to's here in stompboxes.

Fact is I didn't find a thread regarding that exclusive matter.

I guess the link you sent is exactly what I want. Would it be that easy? it's just connecting it, then it switches to the 9V power supply and stops using the battery? and when I unplug, it connects to the battery? Seems so right that I even have doubts about that.
No need to apologise, not berating you :) And definitely no need to call me "sir", I barely qualify as 'you there'.

Yup, it's that easy and there's plenty of wiring diagrams out there to include it in the standard true bypass set up. It can be done with circuitry but there's no need to over complicate things.

antonis

Just the power section of your interest..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

savethewhales

Quote from: 11-90-an on September 09, 2020, 09:43:41 PM
Yes indeed, it works. Many people have done it already.   :icon_biggrin:

Nice! Thank you!

Quote from: Scruffie on September 10, 2020, 12:30:05 PM

No need to apologise, not berating you :) And definitely no need to call me "sir", I barely qualify as 'you there'.

Yup, it's that easy and there's plenty of wiring diagrams out there to include it in the standard true bypass set up. It can be done with circuitry but there's no need to over complicate things.

Hahah, ok! Thank you very much!

Quote from: antonis on September 11, 2020, 04:05:07 AM

Hey, that's really what I wanted to see. Thank you so much..

I understand the scheme there, but what does the switching?

11-90-an

There are 2 things switching in that ckt.

1. For the power switching, Scruffie stated it earlier on...

2. There is another switching happening, which is when there is NOTHING plugged in the input jack, there is no power in the ckt. This is done by the stereo jack.
flip flop flip flop flip

savethewhales

Quote from: 11-90-an on September 11, 2020, 11:16:18 PM
There are 2 things switching in that ckt... This is done by the stereo jack.

Thank you so much! I owe you one! Case closed (I think so).

antonis

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

savethewhales

Definately closed now..??

Ok.. thank you so much.. Now definately definately closed.

savethewhales

I honestly thought this thread was over however, I'm doing my pcb on Easy Eda and I'm wondering if it's this image that I have to follow to power my pedal (which has a battery and a 9V DC power switch)?.

Thanks in advance.

antonis

Actually, Yes.. :icon_wink:

But this image refers on external PCB wiring so I can't get your query..

savethewhales

Ok! I'm already doing the connections on the PCB (and writing it to identify)

savethewhales

If I'm going to do the power wiring (as I will tomorrow), with a centre negative power supply, can I wire it exactly like this image? No, right? Seems like it's centre positive.

GibsonGM

Center negative is the standard "Boss style".  The switch in the adaptor jack switches when you insert the plug, disconnecting the battery when you plug in...it flips off the red battery terminal and just takes from the barrel of the plug, if you will.

Good PDF here:  http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=35

and

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/how-to-build-it/technical-help/powering-your-effects/adding-a-power-jack/
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

savethewhales

Wow! Thank you so much!

I'll actually be more clear: I have a DC power jack, a stereo input 6.3 jack, a mono output 6.3 jack, battery connections, LED and a 3PDT.
Should I wire it exactly like it is on "Offboard wiring 5" then, right? And if so, it is center negative, right?

bluebunny

Yes - to everything you just said.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

savethewhales

Ok! Thank you.

Now, I was trying to work out the diagram and the connections and talking to a friend who's very experient in this area, and he told me that it would'nt work with TRS Jack:

"Input utilizes 3 terminals, which makes the LED to only be connected when there's a TS Jack on the input.
If you connect a TRS Jack to the input, the circuit won't turn on, because the ground from battery and the circuit need to be connected by the jack.
The sleeve and the ring need to be shorted.

A solution is to connect the battery ground with the circuit ground and utilizing a TS connector. "

Does this make any sense? I'm thinking and it does make sense but at the same time, I trust the pdf you've put here so I don't know now.. Any help please??

11-90-an

Quote from: savethewhales on October 20, 2020, 05:19:07 AM

Ok! Thank you.

Now, I was trying to work out the diagram and the connections and talking to a friend who's very experient in this area, and he told me that it would'nt work with TRS Jack:

"Input utilizes 3 terminals, which makes the LED to only be connected when there's a TS Jack on the input.
If you connect a TRS Jack to the input, the circuit won't turn on, because the ground from battery and the circuit need to be connected by the jack.
The sleeve and the ring need to be shorted.

A solution is to connect the battery ground with the circuit ground and utilizing a TS connector. "

Does this make any sense? I'm thinking and it does make sense but at the same time, I trust the pdf you've put here so I don't know now.. Any help please??

yes it totally makes sense... and that's why you have to chose to either
1. not use a TRS plug
2. not use a stereo jack, in other words power is still connected.
flip flop flip flop flip