Schematic for dual OD with switch?

Started by matopotato, August 12, 2022, 04:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matopotato

I have been searching for how to connect two separate drive stages with a 3PDT each so I can engage either one or both or none (like a KoT)
And also add an SPDT or DPDT to set the order of the sides when both are engaged (like the D&M Drive by Keeley) but no luck. Found an old thread but no real answer in it.

Thanks in advance
"Should have breadboarded it first"

Fancy Lime

So essentially two overdrive circuits with separate footswitches for each plus an "order reversal" switch? You can just pick any two overdrives you like (or use the same twice) and install them in the same box with the additional switch for the order. I'm sure there is a wiring diagram for the switch on here somewhere, I just don't know under what name. The rest really doesn't need a specific schematic, pick what you like.

HTH,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

matopotato

Quote from: Fancy Lime on August 12, 2022, 04:49:58 PM
So essentially two overdrive circuits with separate footswitches for each plus an "order reversal" switch? You can just pick any two overdrives you like (or use the same twice) and install them in the same box with the additional switch for the order. I'm sure there is a wiring diagram for the switch on here somewhere, I just don't know under what name. The rest really doesn't need a specific schematic, pick what you like.

HTH,
Andy
Thanks,
Yes by now I have seen a few kits with two drives A and B side. But I haven't figured out to make a switch handle the A > B vs B > A order yet.

Fancy Lime

Found the article I was looking for:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/juggler/juggler.htm

If you don't need the order to be foot switchable, you only need a 3pdt switch. Not too difficult.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

matopotato

Thanks a lot @Fancy Lime and @ElectricDruid! I think I have a 4PDT around. Or more likely put the LEDs with the stomps and use a 3PDT for order only.
It will be an innaresting Breadboarding exercise. Might keep A B sides to a minimum until I get the switching right. But seems the tips will see me through.

matopotato

For some reason I had my mind stuck in a DPDT "solution" that I could not see right (obviously). Now it is more clear. I will let each stomp control each LED and on/off of course.

Btw, SPDT, DPDT, 3PDT, 4PDT...
Why not either of 1PDT, 2PDT, 3PDT, 4PDT (or even rhe D swapped for a "2")
Or SPDT, DPDT, TPDT, QPDT?

matopotato

The original idea was to build @jonny.reckless 's Reckless Abandon. https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=125355.0 Which is not a dual OD but a 2-channel preamp.
With the A and B sides being a bit more "inside the circuit" compared with many dual ODs, it got a bit trickier.
I think one stomp for overall on/bypass. One stomp for each gain stage and then A/B order switch would work. Possibly can be boiled down a bit.
But I am beginning to wonder if the circuit will make sense to have A and B stacked.
Perhaps it works best as a 2-channel preamp.
I will most likely breadboard the original and then experiment a bit first.
If anything, at least I learned a bit about A/B switching  ;D

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

matopotato

Quote from: GGBB on August 14, 2022, 04:48:06 PM

Thanks! Interesting with the 4PDT.
One issue though is that between IN jack and A or B side there is a voicing section, as well as after A and B joining again and the OUT jack, there is an EQ stage.
So in a way it seems to me I would need an A on or bypass A, same for B but also some Full circuit or bypass it.

Still, need to check if A and B a suitable for stacking in the first place.

GGBB

Quote from: matopotato on August 15, 2022, 12:23:26 PM
One issue though is that between IN jack and A or B side there is a voicing section, as well as after A and B joining again and the OUT jack, there is an EQ stage.

Think outside the box - each section - including the wires - are just blocks that themselves can be any number of circuits and or switches.

"between IN jack and A or B side there is a voicing section" - Then put the voicing section between the IN jack and the 4PDT switch.

"after A and B joining again and the OUT jack, there is an EQ stage" - Then put the EQ stage between the 4PDT switch and the OUT jack.
  • SUPPORTER

matopotato

Quote from: GGBB on August 15, 2022, 07:22:39 PM
Quote from: matopotato on August 15, 2022, 12:23:26 PM

Think outside the box - each section - including the wires - are just blocks that themselves can be any number of circuits and or switches.

"between IN jack and A or B side there is a voicing section" - Then put the voicing section between the IN jack and the 4PDT switch.

"after A and B joining again and the OUT jack, there is an EQ stage" - Then put the EQ stage between the 4PDT switch and the OUT jack.
Thanks.
Yes, but I thought that would result in the pre and post stages falling outside the bypass, effectively making pre and post "always on" and the A, B stages the parts where if both stomps are set to bypass then A and B are bypassed?
I can make a drawing later.

matopotato

OK, In @jonny.reckless schema
https://postimg.cc/RJZD0XfJ
I could divide the circuit into 4 main areas (besides original 3pdt, power etc)

Here Pedal Input goes in to a common "Voice" or pre-section. Then a switch determines if you are using Gain from A or from B. They join back and go to an EQ section.
In the original you either have A or B. Never both and never none.
My idea was to allow to stack A and B and then control the order (A>B A<B).
The replies lead me to a solution for this using 3PDT switch (on/on).
I then realized that to have it "backward compatible", I would need a stomp (3PDT) for each of A and B respectively so that I can turn off or on either one. This would allow for both on and A<B, A>B options, only one on which would allow for the original setup.
Then the AB stacking switch would need to "surround" the A 3PDT and B 3PDT.
This also introduce two more "things":
1. It will be possible to turn off both A and B. So "Voice" directly into EQ. Needs some testing, but might become some kind of boost? EQ? haven't tried yet, But preferably something that "works" so it does not become a "setting to avoid"
2. It would be always on, since bypass only happens around A resp. B, so that (as far as my limited understanding goes) would need the introduction of a "master 3PDT" for turning the whole thing on and off. Or am I missing something?

Perhaps I am not thinking enough outside the box.

Will definitely have to breadboard this first to see what works and what not.

GGBB

Quote from: matopotato on August 14, 2022, 06:36:21 AM
I think one stomp for overall on/bypass. One stomp for each gain stage and then A/B order switch would work. Possibly can be boiled down a bit.

Think of the diagram is a standalone circuit - pretend the jacks are not really jacks but represent in and out - now put this circuit in a 3PDT bypass setup.
  • SUPPORTER

matopotato

Quote from: GGBB on August 19, 2022, 09:23:11 PM

Quote from: matopotato on August 14, 2022, 06:36:21 AM

Think of the diagram is a standalone circuit - pretend the jacks are not really jacks but represent in and out - now put this circuit in a 3PDT bypass setup.
Thanks. Yes, that was sort of where my thinking lead to as well.
This would hopefully solve what I wanted to achieve.
But I should breadboard first to hear how the circuit comes out in A+B or B+A as well as if both A and B are bypassed.

Some earlier suggestions used 3PDT for A B order. You suggested 4PDT.  Do you know what the 4PDT brings that 3PDT would be missing?

GGBB

Quote from: matopotato on August 20, 2022, 03:14:20 AM

Some earlier suggestions used 3PDT for A B order. You suggested 4PDT.  Do you know what the 4PDT brings that 3PDT would be missing?

A 4PDT allows for another effect or a loop in between A and B (in place of the the white jumper wire). In your case that isn't necessary so the 3PDT solution should be fine, but adding send-return jacks to your design would make it more versatile.

• SUPPORTER

matopotato

Quote from: GGBB on August 20, 2022, 07:56:04 AM
Quote from: matopotato on August 20, 2022, 03:14:20 AM

A 4PDT allows for another effect or a loop in between A and B (in place of the the white jumper wire). In your case that isn't necessary so the 3PDT solution should be fine, but adding send-return jacks to your design would make it more versatile.

Thanks a lot for your efforts, examples and explanations! I appreciate it a lot.
Will see if I stick to 3PDT or the more versatile setup yoo outlined.  :D

matopotato

Just thought I'd bring this to a close. The circuit in my case is the Reckless Abandon, a 2 channel pre-amp pedal. After managing to breadboard it, it turned out to be quite a bit too loud with A=>B or B=>A. This can probably by handled by some resistors and caps (?) in the case when stacking, but I could not hear that it made things any better with stacking, so although I would have liked to use the suggestions above to make it work as A, B A=>B, B=>A kind of way I will have to use those ideas for some other future project.
Thanks for all the responses though and hopefully someone might stumble on this discussion and find inspiration or solutions to their problems or wishes.