Reckless Abandon: a 2 channel guitar preamp pedal

Started by jonny.reckless, September 12, 2020, 09:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roseblood11

Have you ever thought about a simplified version, as an onboard preamp inside the guitar?
Just one channel, no distortion.
Maybe it would be possible to use only two opamps...

iainpunk

Quote from: iainpunk on February 02, 2021, 08:17:00 PM
reading back your OP, i think the LM358 is rather nicely suited for this kind of distortion, since it is a bit slower than the others, the 833 slew rate is 7v/us, the 072 has 20v/us (harsher) and the lm358 has only 0.3v/us, which is way slower, which makes it smoother. (this is a bit of a simplification, but it works well in most circumstances.)

cheers, Iain
well, thats a dumb suggestion, you buffoon!
the lm358 has crossover distortion, which is why i like its sound, but a good reason for 98% of people to not use it. a 5532 or 4558 would be better suited.

Quote from: roseblood11 on July 11, 2022, 04:29:19 PM
Have you ever thought about a simplified version, as an onboard preamp inside the guitar?
Just one channel, no distortion.
Maybe it would be possible to use only two opamps...
sooo, a boost with a 3 band tone stack? doable with a single if you want, or even with just transistors! another option is finding an existing circuit, what are the things you want from this specific circuit?

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Ben N

Quote from: iainpunk on July 12, 2022, 04:47:54 PM
Quote from: iainpunk on February 02, 2021, 08:17:00 PM
reading back your OP, i think the LM358 is rather nicely suited for this kind of distortion, since it is a bit slower than the others, the 833 slew rate is 7v/us, the 072 has 20v/us (harsher) and the lm358 has only 0.3v/us, which is way slower, which makes it smoother. (this is a bit of a simplification, but it works well in most circumstances.)

cheers, Iain
well, thats a dumb suggestion, you buffoon!
sooo, a boost with a 3 band tone stack? doable with a single if you want, or even with just transistors! another option is finding an existing circuit, what are the things you want from this specific circuit?

cheers
[/quote]
No need for rudeness! Iain, tell Iain you're sorry.
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

don't tell me what to say or do to myself

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

matopotato

Thought I was done building drives... but I guess not. Sounded very versatile overall and sweet in the low gain.
Time will puff the ambers until the full flames of GAS consumes my judgement.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

matopotato

@johnny.reckless Have you done any modifications or adjustments to this since first built?

Ben N

Other than size, is there any reason not to duplicate the tone stack (offboard, natch) and move the selector switch downstream? Seems to me that two channels without separate tone control is kind of limiting.
  • SUPPORTER

matopotato

I first thought this to be a dual OD, but seems to be designed as two channels in one pedal. I am thinking of connecting the two stages in series and make it sort of both. Either one channel, the other channel or both in a dual OD. Ideally with a switch to select stacking order. Not sure if this is feasible though? Or perhaps it is undesired in the sense that the circuit will not be suited for stacking anyway?
Greatful for any ideas
Cheers

matopotato

Quote from: matopotato on August 12, 2022, 09:30:20 AM
I first thought this to be a dual OD, but seems to be designed as two channels in one pedal. I am thinking of connecting the two stages in series and make it sort of both. Either one channel, the other channel or both in a dual OD. Ideally with a switch to select stacking order. Not sure if this is feasible though? Or perhaps it is undesired in the sense that the circuit will not be suited for stacking anyway?
Greatful for any ideas
Cheers

I managed to finally get it breadboarded and working. It felt better with each channel a separate one. Stacking them did not bring out anything better IMHO. It also got quite loud, but I guess that could be fixed. So I will be sticking with the original build.

Steben

Quote from: matopotato on December 28, 2022, 03:41:20 PM
Greatful for any ideas
Cheers

I managed to finally get it breadboarded and working. It felt better with each channel a separate one. Stacking them did not bring out anything better IMHO. It also got quite loud, but I guess that could be fixed. So I will be sticking with the original build.

You might find stacking OD's is much more natural when combining non inverting soft clipper stages.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

matopotato

Quote from: Steben on December 29, 2022, 02:51:35 AM
Quote from: matopotato on December 28, 2022, 03:41:20 PM
Greatful for any ideas
Cheers

You might find stacking OD's is much more natural when combining non inverting soft clipper stages.

Thanks.
Yes, good point.