Enough distortions? Time to give it a rest?

Started by Mark Hammer, September 14, 2020, 10:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Quote from: davent on September 15, 2020, 12:40:54 PM
Detective work on the acoustic used...

dave

Oh man. Love this. And so on topic towards Mark.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

matmosphere

Quote from: Steben on September 15, 2020, 12:30:57 PM
Quote from: matmosphere on September 15, 2020, 09:46:46 AM
Quote from: Steben on September 15, 2020, 08:51:15 AM
Yes, gear is pleasure of the musician. How many led Zep II owners knew what guitars effects and amps Page used on the album?

I've listened to that record hundreds of times since I started playing and never really thought about it.

Then again I have always assumed I'd never be able to sound that good even if I had the exact same gear.

Well, the exact same gear would be plentiful. He used a vox 12 string, some Les Paul and probably some Tele as well. Acoustic...
And a Wah like the whole lotta solo mid part I presume. Supro definitely. And other amps.
I'm sure he still used the MkII tonebender on some parts on the album.
I recently saw a youtube thing with a guy playing the lemon song through an MkII... god that was convincing. While I think it is played on a Supro.... Makes you wonder. But then again distortion is saturated :)

Detective work on the acoustic used...

dave

Wow Dave that is a great video, thanks for the share! It's very interesting. Great example of how a trained ear can hear something so subtle that it isn't noticed by so many.

Now if you tell me that is the acoustic he used on III I might have to go out and buy one.

davent

Quote from: matmosphere on September 15, 2020, 06:13:44 PM

dave

Wow Dave that is a great video, thanks for the share! It's very interesting. Great example of how a trained ear can hear something so subtle that it isn't noticed by so many.

Now if you tell me that is the acoustic he used on III I might have to go out and buy one.

Your welcome! His youtube channel is a deep deep rabbit hole, be careful!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

amz-fx

Quote from: kraal on September 14, 2020, 12:19:34 PM
4) for many people, the music to be played is the music they hear (sheep category) OR the music other don't like or don't know (rebel category, that do not realize that they are sheep as well), which makes alternative (classic) sounds less desirable (for the masses)

I'm always looking for new bands and styles to appreciate. Recently I found a couple of new bands while watching song analysis videos by an opera singer, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNx0RgQrcoM

Or excellent jazz musicians like this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4zOi8h-Uds

Or the ever popular PMJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62PO86rpOvQ

There is lots of music to be appreciated, and some even has distorted guitars in it! (but not all) :)

regards, Jack

EBK

Has anyone built a hi-fi distortion pedal for audiophile guitarists yet?  I think it would make a fantastic April Fools Day project.  As a bonus, you can probably sell them for $5000 each!   :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

11-90-an

Quote from: EBK on September 16, 2020, 10:41:15 AM
Has anyone built a hi-fi distortion pedal for audiophile guitarists yet?  I think it would make a fantastic April Fools Day project.  As a bonus, you can probably sell them for $5000 each!   :icon_twisted:

"This pedal comes with a very thick, lush and scrumptious cream distortion, with selectable clipping, compression, tubes, and diodes! All these diodes were made under the full moon of an equinox 3846928 years ago! Of course, this pedal is true bypass, since this will be a extremely posh and elegant build, I demand a fee of $5000 for this pedal would love for you to buy it!"
flip flop flip flop flip

Steben

In the 70ties they explained the qualities of a tonebender by putting "Hit It!" on the pedal.
  • SUPPORTER

StephenGiles

I remember having big disagreements with fellow band members back in 1962-65 because my amp was distorting due to my fruitless attempts to make it louder. There was a glimmer of hope when this came out in 1963 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Lk1sVhYsg, which incidentally has a great solo!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

davent

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 16, 2020, 03:28:40 PM
I remember having big disagreements with fellow band members back in 1962-65 because my amp was distorting due to my fruitless attempts to make it louder. There was a glimmer of hope when this came out in 1963 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Lk1sVhYsg, which incidentally has a great solo!

Wow, quite the cast passed through that band, to scratch the surface, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck, Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, Jon Lord, Ian Hunter, and Nicky Hopkins.

Speculating but looking at the time line Hendrix may have scooped The Experience from that band.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Lord_Sutch_and_the_Savages
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Mark Hammer

I was familiar with the original Huey "Piano" Smith version, but this one is so MUCH better.  Not quite that sensuously lazy N'Awlins style, but it seriously rocks.  Thanks for that, Stephen!  :icon_biggrin:

Phend

BM Pi, what more do you need ? A box full of chips ? Hand me the dip. The 70's rule.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Phend on September 16, 2020, 07:05:21 PM
BM Pi, what more do you need ? A box full of chips ? Hand me the dip. The 70's rule.
Now, which issue, which clone of which issue, and which variation of the issue?  The BMP is a very handy circuit, but you'd be hard-pressed to finish counting the number of supposed variations on it that are in production or have been in production in recent years.  I modded a 90s big box that somebody game me, and have 3 or 4 others  I made to fit various form factors.  I couldn't tell you what "issue" any of them copy/are.  AFAIC, it's a fuzz, and that's enough for me.

Phend

It would be interesting to make an anti fuzz effect plugged in after the fuzz effect hence eliminating the fuzz effect. But i suppose those would be copied cloned and changed some to sell as new and improved. Just as long as there is money to be made.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

R.G.

Quote from: Phend on September 16, 2020, 07:41:54 PM
It would be interesting to make an anti fuzz effect plugged in after the fuzz effect hence eliminating the fuzz effect. But i suppose those would be copied cloned and changed some to sell as new and improved. Just as long as there is money to be made.
Well, there is always the problem that this isn't possible as well.  :icon_eek:

Without having the original signal as a reference, there is no way to un-bend it back to what it was. Filter out the frequencies yes. Un-do the distortion, no.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

11-90-an

Quote from: R.G. on September 16, 2020, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: Phend on September 16, 2020, 07:41:54 PM
Well, there is always the problem that this isn't possible as well.  :icon_eek:

Without having the original signal as a reference, there is no way to un-bend it back to what it was. Filter out the frequencies yes. Un-do the distortion, no.

Square to sine converter?

Next the problem of making a reliable square to sine....
flip flop flip flop flip

Steben

mmm in this time with polyphonic tracking and octave up an down.... don't underestimate digital. Close to track your Les Paul and produce a strat.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Steben on September 17, 2020, 06:24:15 AM
mmm in this time with polyphonic tracking and octave up an down.... don't underestimate digital. Close to track your Les Paul and produce a strat.

Yeah, I agree. It would be possible by a kind of pitch-extraction-plus-resynthesis method, and that's within modern digital capabilities. But that's really just a guitar synth and *replaces* your signal rather than *processing* it, so it doesn't get around the problem of unscrambling the distortion to get back to the original signal. As R.G. says, that's a seriously hard problem! But hey, I'll get on it just as soon as I've got this perpetual motion machine finished off...;)

Steben

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 17, 2020, 12:42:28 PM
Quote from: Steben on September 17, 2020, 06:24:15 AM

Yeah, I agree. It would be possible by a kind of pitch-extraction-plus-resynthesis method, and that's within modern digital capabilities. But that's really just a guitar synth and *replaces* your signal rather than *processing* it, so it doesn't get around the problem of unscrambling the distortion to get back to the original signal. As R.G. says, that's a seriously hard problem! But hey, I'll get on it just as soon as I've got this perpetual motion machine finished off...;)

Be careful not to end up with a distortion box
  • SUPPORTER

Digital Larry

Quote from: 11-90-an on September 16, 2020, 10:55:23 AM
"This pedal comes with a very thick, lush and scrumptious cream distortion, with selectable clipping, compression, tubes, and diodes! All these diodes were made under the full moon of an equinox 3846928 years ago! Of course, this pedal is true bypass, since this will be a extremely posh and elegant build, I demand a fee of $5000 for this pedal would love for you to buy it!"
The soundstage is incredible!  It's like Diana Krall is whispering sweet nothings into my ear!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Digital Larry

Hah.  All these so called experts.  Y'know, people tell me that, in order to undo fuzz induced by positive ground PNP Germanium fuzzes, all you have to do is run it through negative ground NPN silicon fuzz.  Totally undoes it and returns your toanz to their NOS glory days.  Many people are telling me this.   ::)
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer