Atlas DCA55, what value is too much leakage current for Fuzz Faces etc

Started by Peacheater81, September 14, 2020, 04:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peacheater81

Based on Smallbear's article of using 9uA base current and a threshold of 300uA of leakage; the DCA55 uses 2.5mA of base current.  So is 83.3mA the equivalent leakage threshold?

I bought a bunch of PNP Ge transistors and I'm trying to figure out which ones have too much leakage.

Best

mozz

Post some of your gains and leakages. You do not need to go by any published gains, i have used them a lot lower and a lot higher, and also used the higher gain first. Generally q1 would be lower leakage. If your leakages are way high, they have other uses, such as a FZ-1 and some tonebenders. I often vary the 33k instead of the 8.2k to set the q2c voltage.

The DCA55 is a great little piece of test equipment. I use mine all the time and never really got into the RG method of testing, most people do not use exactly 9 volts anyway.

Don't use your fingers to test the transistors, the heat really messes up the readings.
  • SUPPORTER

Harry Muff

they are only 75 dollars , used to be around 150 back in the day lol

amazon has some new tsting devices with a smartphone/computer screen looking pretty cool for around 30 dollars that measures bjts and fets but will have to do maths for current leakage