Small Clone Clone cap replacement

Started by Mike Nichting, October 17, 2003, 08:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Nichting

Hey all,
I took the advice of a thread here and replaced the .0027 cap with the .0039 cap and the tone is much better. A little clearer and such.
Just thought that I would throw that at you.

Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

phillip

Thanks Mike!  I was thinking that the 0.0039uF is actually the cap that was used in the "better" sounding Small Clones.  I'll modify my "parts to buy" list for that one :)  

I really need to score one of the old Small Clones and reverse engineer it, but those things sell like crazy!

Phillip

Ed G.

Did you use a regular ceramic, or a silver mica?
I'm planning on building one at some time, I've been looking up bits of info here and there. I've always dug the chorus tone on the Pretenders' songs like "Brass in Pocket" and "Chain Gang" and I heard it was the EH Clone Theory, so a small clone should get me close. Actually I think I read where some people prefer the small clone.

Mike Nichting

Hey Ed,
I used a film cap. I'm not sure exactly what type but it is clear outside and silver inside if that makes sense. maybe a foil film if there is such a thing?? It is like the caps in the old Boss pedals it's not a solid color.
I'm sure that doesn't help at all, sorry  :oops:

The tone difference was very nice. It seemed a little clearer and not really deeper but better. It might be good to have a switch to choose between the 2.
While I'm on the subject what does replacing the toggle switch with a pot do for the tone?? the toggle seems to make the speed deeper, more tone bending so I am not sure about a pot in it's place.
Anyone??

Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".

Ed G.

Sounds like a polystyrene cap. They're supposed to be very good, sound very clear and smooth.

Mike Nichting

Thats it~!!! Sorry I couldn;'t tell you~!!

Mike N.