j109, j111, j112, j113, or BF256b for AMZ buffered splitter?

Started by focusbob, September 21, 2020, 07:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

focusbob

Hi, I would like to build some AMZ buffered splitters, but would like to use a current production through hole jfet instead of the j201 the layout calls for (would also prefer to avoid the smd j201 + adapter board option, if possible). j109, j111, j112, j113, and BF256b are the available options on Mouser. Which would be best for this project? Thanks!

11-90-an

Welcome to the forum..  :icon_biggrin:

As far as I know, j112 and j113 should be fine... not sure about the others... probably would have to tweak some values, though... :icon_wink:
flip flop flip flop flip

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: 11-90-an on September 21, 2020, 07:41:13 AM
Welcome to the forum..  :icon_biggrin:

As far as I know, j112 and j113 should be fine... not sure about the others... probably would have to tweak some values, though... :icon_wink:

agreed. you will have to lay the circuit on a breadboard and get the drain resistor to bias the fet between 5-7 volts

pacealot

Mild necro-bump to mention that I breadboarded this successfully with a pair of J113s without altering any values. J111s, however, did not work (I didn't bother to try to tweak it with them, as I just went with the J113s).

In fact, I'm now trying to figure out what I could possibly do with over a dozen J111s which I can't seem to use for anything I'd originally bought them for! :icon_redface:
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."

Rob Strand

QuoteIn fact, I'm now trying to figure out what I could possibly do with over a dozen J111s which I can't seem to use for anything I'd originally bought them for! :icon_redface:

With higher Vgs_off devices you might be able to get it to work by removing the R2 resistor, or at least making it larger until the DC output voltage is about 4.5V,

http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

pacealot

Thanks, Rob — that hadn't occurred to me. Removing R2 brought it down to around 7.4V — still not where it ought to be yet, but it does actually function as a buffer now!

Rob Strand

QuoteThanks, Rob — that hadn't occurred to me. Removing R2 brought it down to around 7.4V — still not where it ought to be yet, but it does actually function as a buffer now!
You might be able to scrape a bit more by reducing the source resistor.  (more current means lower Vgs)

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

pacealot

You read my mind! I started dinking and got it down to ~4.6V with 150Ω. Thanks, Rob! My poor neglected J111s thank you as well....

Rob Strand

150 ohm is pulling quite a bit of current, ID = 4.6V / 150 = 30.7mA.

You can trade a little bit of bias voltage for a fair amount of current.

Rs    ID             Vgs
220   23mA      5.05V           
390   14.5mA   5.64V
470   12.3mA  5.80V        <----- maybe around here  40% of current for 1.2V bias shift
1k      6.4mA     6.4V

You might see the waveform compressed a bit due to the high Vgs_off of the JFET.
(I roughly estimated IDSS = 175mA and VP = -7.91V)

pacealot

That sounds like a very good trade-off. I hadn't quite gotten around to crunching the numbers—or reading the current draw—yet. Thanks yet again. This time my batteries thank you as well!

I'd thrown together a quick ROG Vp/Idss circuit together earlier to measure the J113s, and when I stuck a J111 in there, I think I got readings right around where your estimate was....

pacealot

And for the specific use this particular buffer/splitter will be used for (splitting a super-saturated mono fuzz output into both sides of a stereo bass rig), a bit of waveform compression will probably be hardly noticeable!