Adding a true bypass to Ernie Ball Expression Drive / Ambient Delay Pedals?

Started by pgorey, September 22, 2020, 09:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgorey

Hey all.  It has been a long while!  I had all these great ambitions of building about 6 pedals over Covid Summer but alas, house projects took priority.  Now that we're settling into the Fall season, I'd like to get my bench clear. 
Anyway, one potential project I am curious about is adding a true bypass to a Ernie Ball Expression Drive and Ambient Delay.  These pedals are exactly what I wanted them to be except I can't turn them off so they do affect the tone in a way that would be cooler if I could bypass - more important for the drive / boost circuit than the ambient delay but I'd love to wire up a toggle footswitch for both that I could patch into using a small enclosure for the switch.  Thoughts?

Kevin Mitchell

• SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

pgorey

That's what I'm after.  A remote bypass or I guess an a/b would be fine too

MikeA

• SUPPORTER

pgorey

I hadn't even though about an fx loop switcher.  That is exactly the solution!  I could do two and then have the ability to insert both the effects individually with a stomp switch.  Thanks ya'll!  Time to build.

Kevin Mitchell

Yup. Essentially an A/B box with a return for one side. For a minimalist build you'll need a DPDT(or 3PDT) switch, 4 jacks and a box to put it in. Or 2 switches and 6 jacks to select or bypass two pedals.

For something like that I would use a 3PDT and a 9 volt battery since all it would power is an LED if you want it. Save space from your daisy chain or power brick.

Or if you're crazy like me, work up a soft touch programmable fx loop box.

Don't be crazy like me.

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

pgorey

I'm trying to see that soft switcher!  I think for real estate on the board and because I have the parts, I'm going to build the 3PDT with power for the LEDs.  Thanks again for the recommendation.  All other circuits will be pushed to the side of the bench until this is built.  I'm pumped to have the perfect solution for those pedals!