Large enclosure

Started by dumbasapost, July 16, 2021, 10:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumbasapost

Anyone here know of any vendors that make larger enclosures for a semi decent price? I'm looking the neighborhood of 12x6x1.5 inches, but I can't seem to find anyone who makes something like this. They're all either 4 inches thick or too small in the other measurements.

Govmnt_Lacky

Have you checked out the Hammond 1444-series enclosures?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

dumbasapost

I had only looked at their 1590 and 1550 series, didn't occur to me to check their chassis, those might do the trick. If not I suppose I could just get some sheet metal and bend it with a brake...

Ripthorn

Look for sloped console enclosures.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Mark Hammer

Just be aware that the larger the top surface area, the more flexible it is under foot.  And if the top gives a little more, that means you have to step harder to actuate stompswitches.  That won't matter for cast aluminum enclosures, but the dimensions you're looking for will more than likely mean folded sheet metal.  Personally I wouldn't use that for an enclosure of those dimensions, unless it was heavy-gauge  sheet metal that would not bend under foot-pressure.

One option is to use remote switching.  I would imagine you want an enclosure that large because you plan to have a lot of stuff in there.  In which case, there may be more convenience in having soft-touch momentary switches on the floor actuating relays in the enclosure, with the enclosure at waist height on a stand, or simply a stool.

amptramp

We have an entire thread on large enclosures:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74465.0

I liked this one:

There are a number of examples of large effects and some of them have explicit design features like compression braces to avoid the problem of bending the box when you stomp on a switch.

choklitlove

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 16, 2021, 08:49:41 PM
Just be aware that the larger the top surface area, the more flexible it is under foot.  And if the top gives a little more, that means you have to step harder to actuate stompswitches.  That won't matter for cast aluminum enclosures, but the dimensions you're looking for will more than likely mean folded sheet metal.  Personally I wouldn't use that for an enclosure of those dimensions, unless it was heavy-gauge  sheet metal that would not bend under foot-pressure.

One option is to use remote switching.  I would imagine you want an enclosure that large because you plan to have a lot of stuff in there.  In which case, there may be more convenience in having soft-touch momentary switches on the floor actuating relays in the enclosure, with the enclosure at waist height on a stand, or simply a stool.
good point.  one could also epoxy a few metal standoffs (or anything really) on the bottom of the enclosure.  Stand them upright and at a length where they touch the inside of the top when assembled.  just to support the top for presses/transfer the weight to the bottom/floor.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.