3 ways inpu cap switch with on off on

Started by Steben, September 24, 2020, 02:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Hi Guys,

I'm breaking my brains here.
What I want to do is use an on off on switch to select 3 input caps or at least 3 "capacitances". Parallel use of caps is ok, it doesnt need to be 3 caps solely.
Of course it is possible to have any 3 combinations, but not in "order", only highest - lowest - mid .....

In others words, not this (which is great of course):
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=58466.0

But rather this:

• SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Fancy Lime

I don't think it is possible to have the middle value in the middle position as long as you want to change only the capacitance. If you are ok with changing the biasing resistor after the input cap in one of the outer positions, which depending on the circuit may or may not  have a similar effect to changing the input cap, then it can be done.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Steben

Quote from: Fancy Lime on September 24, 2020, 02:33:43 PM
I don't think it is possible to have the middle value in the middle position as long as you want to change only the capacitance. If you are ok with changing the biasing resistor after the input cap in one of the outer positions, which depending on the circuit may or may not  have a similar effect to changing the input cap, then it can be done.

Andy

Ok, great answer. I see what you mean.
Problem is I thought of using it in front of a Fuzz Face or Rangemaster etc that impedance is "rather fixed".
But it is not that big a problem: Largest, smallest, medium .....In a fuzz face it would mean: "NORMAL", "ABNORMAL", "INBETWEEN"... might be just as useful.
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

In that case you either need to contend yourself with the awkward hi-lo-medium order and use an on/off/on switch, or you can use a Z-switch and have lo-medium-hi. Problem is, Z-switches are more expensive and harder to get.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Steben

Quote from: Fancy Lime on September 24, 2020, 02:43:56 PM
In that case you either need to contend yourself with the awkward hi-lo-medium order and use an on/off/on switch, or you can use a Z-switch and have lo-medium-hi. Problem is, Z-switches are more expensive and harder to get.

Andy

true. I have some on off on switches lying around :D
  • SUPPORTER