can you put any integrated circuit to any pedal?

Started by otito, September 30, 2020, 06:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otito

i'm beggining to get interested in building some pedals, i was wondering if you can put any IC into a circuit (i'm going for a fuzz face as my first build probably and i thought about getting a HT8950 in it)

kraal

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If your question is if it is possible to put any IC (any chip) in any circuit, the answer is no as the circuit may not be designed for it (side note: you have IC chips for audio, video, nuclear reactor applications, etc.)
If your question is if it is possible to replace any audio IC/component with any audio IC without modifying the circuit the answer is no (different form factor, chip/component purpose, etc.)
If your question is if it is possible to adapt any existing circuit to add any audio IC (with its companion components) the answer is yes (imagine audio circuits as made of LEGO bricks, the IC you want to add is a new building block) but it is not trivial.

Regards,

idy

Wow. The HT8950 is a vibrato/robot voice processor chip. Its needs a bit of circuitry around it to function as a guitar pedal. It has a microphone preamp inside and "expects" to get a mic level input.. lower than even a passive guitar, and as a Digital effect it will sound really rank if you overdrive it, and it runs on 4.5 volts....

Have you looked at the data sheet for the chip and the typical application circuits on that sheet? They aren't that complicated. With some kind of voltage regulator to supply it and some volume cut on the way in, and a (maybe) a booster on the way out, it might not be that difficult a "second" project..... after  you get a fuzz face working...

That pedal could be combined with a fuzz face...

idy

Maybe you are thinking of the DBA Robot pedal. There are layouts for it. If you google it and "schematic" you will find them and some schematics.