Same beginner, another 4 pedals

Started by ghiekorg, September 27, 2020, 04:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11-90-an

There was no sound in the delay video because he was trying to let us hear the weep sound... :icon_lol:
flip flop flip flop flip

ghiekorg

Quote from: duck_arse on October 26, 2020, 09:11:59 AM
Quotei just changed the Q2 (BC459b)

I took this as a misstype. did you mean BC54xb? [sorry, it's not worth my time messing with my faulty "nine" key/s]. check your datasheet for pinout comparison!

Yes, sorry, i typed wrong. I meant BC549b. I know they are "flipped" compared to the others i used, so i double checked the direction before placing them. On Effectslayout website there is actually a comment about that: the Letters are right but the orientation is wrong on the drawing. 

QuoteThe pinouts for the 2N5089 and BC549 are reversed. Did you rotated the transistor 180ยบ before soldering it?
Yes, i always use sockets for ICs, regulators, JFETs, etc. so in case it's easy to test. And they don't like heat that much as i understood

QuoteFor the delay, here your video have no sound. Don't know if it's an issue on my end. But if it's a weep sound that changes the pitch of the delay whey you rotate the pot while it's still playing a note, that's something that happens with all delays.
No no, i intentionally left the volume of the guitar off just so you can hear the weep (sweep?) sound. Maybe you have to turn up the volume, it's not super loud :D

QuoteJust a suggestion. Your topic started as a "looking for 4 pedal suggestions", which was achieved. Then you used the same topic to ask for help with two more builds, but some people who can help you may not see your questions because they saw this topic earlier and think "well, he already picked the 4 pedals, so the new posts are just build reports or something like that". It's better to create one topic per build, so things keep organised and you get more visibility.
That's absolutely true. I thought about it, i just didn't want to invade the forum with my threads... but i guess you are right. These things now have almost nothing to do with the old stuff.

Quote from: 11-90-an on October 26, 2020, 09:24:14 AM
There was no sound in the delay video because he was trying to let us hear the weep sound... :icon_lol:
Exactly :D

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: ghiekorg on October 26, 2020, 09:30:28 AM
Yes, i always use sockets for ICs, regulators, JFETs, etc. so in case it's easy to test. And they don't like heat that much as i understood
Nah. They don't like too much heat but, unless you're very bad at soldering, you're good to go on almost all of them. What you can do if you're worried is to do a finger temperature test. Put a finger on then, solder one leg. Is the part still cool? Then solder another leg. Did it got a bit hot? Then just move to another part and come back to finish this one later.

While lots of people says to always use sockets, lots of people are against them. On one hand, they make the part easy to remove, in case you want to test a different one instead, or even your build got wrong and you want to savage that part. On the other hand, the mechanical connection for parts in sockets isn't nearly as reliable as if they're soldered directly. I mean, I didn't got any IC to fall from a socket, but that's what people argue about, the mechanical connection is not too reliable.

No no, i intentionally left the volume of the guitar off just so you can hear the weep (sweep?) sound. Maybe you have to turn up the volume, it's not super loud :D
Ah got it! I was expecting something different. But now I can hear it. It seems the same as I described (pitch changing if you play a note then rotate the pot), but instead of playing a note you're getting an oscillation into your signal, and that oscillation is changing pitch based on the pot rotation. Is it audible with pedal bypassed?

That's absolutely true. I thought about it, i just didn't want to invade the forum with my threads... but i guess you are right. These things now have almost nothing to do with the old stuff.
It's better to create new threads for each stuff. You get more visibility this way. And if you have 2 or 3 builds you're debugging at the same time, don't worry on "I'm creating too many threads", just go and create one per build. This way, you get everything related to each build in it's own thread. It's more organized and easier to go along this way. Ald if somebody face the same problems when they build the same effect, they can use your thread to help their debug process.

ghiekorg

Hi guys
I just want to close this thread showing all i did so far, my (for the moment) final pedalboard but mainly thanking you for your help, once again i wouldn't have made it till here without you. After 15 years of music without any pedal i fell in love with them and i have no idea how i made it till now without them :D
This led me to music i never played, i never heard and made me see music in a different way.
See you around on the forum, i guess it will not pass much time before i do another pedal  :icon_mrgreen:
Take care <3

Marcos - Munky

Trust me, you'll be building another one sooner than you think :icon_lol:

11-90-an

flip flop flip flop flip

ghiekorg

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on October 28, 2020, 07:58:45 PM
Trust me, you'll be building another one sooner than you think :icon_lol:
Yeah, well... i wanna change one of the pedals already :D

Quote from: 11-90-an on October 28, 2020, 08:18:08 PM
where's the octap?  :icon_lol:
I breadboarded it but it didn't work. It's also true i breadboarded 4 pedals and none of them worked. So i just probabily suck at it. The boosting section was really distorting the sound and there was no upper octave whatsoever. I will try to breadboard it again from scratch soonish. :D But thank you for remind me of it  :icon_mrgreen: