Custom Board Sourcing?

Started by Big Monk, September 29, 2020, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Monk

Let's suppose you did not want to go the DIY route for making your own boards, but also did not want to have to learn an eCAD type program to submit to manufacturers. Is there a middle ground for sourcing a custom, quality board?

I guess I am thinking of someone who might accept a simple ready to transfer file. I'm not opposed to learning a CAD program if required but would prefer not to have to etch my own boards, etc.
"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon

matmosphere

There is always OSHpark. I've used them before and been quite happy with the results. I didn't think I'd enjoy eagle, and I don't, but it isn't that terrible to deal with.

As far as just a transfer file (I'm assuming you mean to etch a pcb from copper clad) there is a dude over on the madbean forum named haberdasher that would etch it for you.

bushidov

Learning EAGLE isn't too hard. Got a lot of good tutorials on YouTube. I've been using JLCPCB for a while and they haven't disappointed me. I used to use OSHPark too, and there stuff is also really good.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ripthorn

I have come to enjoy laying out boards in Eagle. I get them made by JLCPCB, but I know that not everyone wants to do this. Wish I could help, but I, like you, had zero interest in etching my own boards after a few dozen projects.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Big Monk

Appreciate all the responses.

I believe I have KiCAD installed which Osh Park accepts so ill give it a shot!

LightSoundGeometry

I would like to now this too? I have a "gerber" file pdf downloaded from a free source..I really dont now what a gerber file is/contains  but I wouldnt mind getting like 5-10 pcb boards made .I also would like to start designing but  need help getting started

vigilante397

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on September 29, 2020, 06:26:01 PM
I would like to now this too? I have a "gerber" file pdf downloaded from a free source..I really dont now what a gerber file is/contains  but I wouldnt mind getting like 5-10 pcb boards made .I also would like to start designing but  need help getting started

PDFs are hard to work with, but if you actually have the gerber files you should be good to go from any manufacturer. Gerber is a format of artwork file, and you should have one for each layer (top layer traces, top solder mask, top overlay/silkscreen, bottom layer traces, bottom solder mask, bottom overlay/silkscreen, and a mechanical layer with the board outline) as well as an NC drill file (usually a .txt) that has the sizes and X-Y coordinates of the holes to be drilled.

When I first started getting PCBs made I had no idea what I was doing, but I would take screenshots of other PCB layouts and load them into Diptrace where I would place components over them and copy that layout, and from there I could add mods, change size shape, etc. I did this until I figured out how to actually use the software and make my own layouts.

Eagle and KiCad are both popular options for hobbyists, I will always recommend Diptrace, which has a full-option free version up to 300 pads, more than enough for most pedals. There is also a Diptrace library made by rullywow for pedal components which makes things easy as you don't have to deal with generating your own. I've never tried KiCad, but my biggest complaint with Eagle was that it wasn't very intuitive, there is definitely a learning curve. Diptrace was my friend from the start, everything made sense and I never had to watch a tutorial.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 30, 2020, 09:39:23 AM

PDFs are hard to work with, but if you actually have the gerber files you should be good to go from any manufacturer. Gerber is a format of artwork file, and you should have one for each layer (top layer traces, top solder mask, top overlay/silkscreen, bottom layer traces, bottom solder mask, bottom overlay/silkscreen, and a mechanical layer with the board outline) as well as an NC drill file (usually a .txt) that has the sizes and X-Y coordinates of the holes to be drilled.

When I first started getting PCBs made I had no idea what I was doing, but I would take screenshots of other PCB layouts and load them into Diptrace where I would place components over them and copy that layout, and from there I could add mods, change size shape, etc. I did this until I figured out how to actually use the software and make my own layouts.

Eagle and KiCad are both popular options for hobbyists, I will always recommend Diptrace, which has a full-option free version up to 300 pads, more than enough for most pedals. There is also a Diptrace library made by rullywow for pedal components which makes things easy as you don't have to deal with generating your own. I've never tried KiCad, but my biggest complaint with Eagle was that it wasn't very intuitive, there is definitely a learning curve. Diptrace was my friend from the start, everything made sense and I never had to watch a tutorial.

youre not too far from me, im in saint louis area

vigilante397

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on September 30, 2020, 09:59:33 AM

Let me know if you're ever in the area, I'll lay out some boards for you ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Big Monk

This is the first I've heard of Diptrace. It will output the required files to have boards manufactured?

vigilante397

Quote from: Big Monk on September 30, 2020, 02:18:14 PM
This is the first I've heard of Diptrace. It will output the required files to have boards manufactured?

Absolutely, I used it for years and got boards from OSHPark and Elecrow. This is the link for the rullywow library if anyone needs it https://www.dropbox.com/s/9622htc2f7ptq4d/rullywow%20diptrace%20library%203.25.15.zip?dl=1

I don't use it anymore (I've moved on to Altium), but I would be happy to answer Diptrace questions if anyone has them. I should mention I'm not affiliated and gain nothing by promoting it, but I sincerely think it's the most intuitive and easy to use free CAD/CAE software out there.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Big Monk

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 30, 2020, 02:36:15 PM

Absolutely, I used it for years and got boards from OSHPark and Elecrow. This is the link for the rullywow library if anyone needs it https://www.dropbox.com/s/9622htc2f7ptq4d/rullywow%20diptrace%20library%203.25.15.zip?dl=1

I don't use it anymore (I've moved on to Altium), but I would be happy to answer Diptrace questions if anyone has them. I should mention I'm not affiliated and gain nothing by promoting it, but I sincerely think it's the most intuitive and easy to use free CAD/CAE software out there.

Very cool. I'll check this out. The most frustrating thing for me has been knowing how I want my boards laid out and then struggling in Eagle or KiCAD trying to put it there.

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 30, 2020, 10:06:08 AM
Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on September 30, 2020, 09:59:33 AM

Let me know if you're ever in the area, I'll lay out some boards for you ;)

right on, been in illnois my whole life and never made it up to chicago ..i want to visit the windy city at least once !

dip trace is the shiznet and the free version is enough for me right now ...its very similar to the one we had when I was in school ..the one in college was like 500 dollars and did everything (full version NI  and not that I could use everyting lol ) too bad my membership expired lol

dip trace will work ..I also have eagle light installed and it looks great but with a super huge learning curve ?

LightSoundGeometry

it has like 6-7 different exports ..this seems to be really hard already lol ..damn

bluebunny

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on October 01, 2020, 01:18:45 AM
it has like 6-7 different exports ..this seems to be really hard already lol ..damn

"Gerber file" isn't a single thing: it's a collection of individual files which correspond to different layers (top screen print, bottom copper, solder mask, ...).  You would typically zip them up when you order PCBs online.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

matmosphere

Here is a recent (perhaps ongoing) eagle tutorial that the guy who does the prefandpcblayout website has been publishing online.

http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2020/09/eagle-tutorial.html?m=1

It's very helpful. I haven't watched it all, but he's using the current version which is nice.

Sounds like diptrace may be worth a look too.

Big Monk

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 30, 2020, 02:36:15 PM

How is it that you can load in the .eli rullywow files into diptrace?

EDIT: Lesson #1 - Drink your coffee before asking questions, Lesson #2 - You have to UNZIP the compressed files  ;)

mozz

• SUPPORTER

bartimaeus

if you don't want to learn diptrace or kicad, maybe you can find someone on the board who can etch single-sided pcbs for you, and just send them the layout?

vigilante397

Quote from: bartimaeus on October 01, 2020, 01:33:58 PM
if you don't want to learn diptrace or kicad, maybe you can find someone on the board who can etch single-sided pcbs for you, and just send them the layout?

Also an option. Fabbed PCBs are nice because you get double-sided, plated through-holes, solder masks, and silkscreens, not to mention quantity, but obviously the cost (besides money) is learning how to use the tools.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com