Fake JFETs from Tayda

Started by fowl, October 05, 2021, 06:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fowl

"If it sounds too good to be true..."

I made a Tayda order recently, and noticed that they had 2N5952s in stock, for $.32 each.  I was suspicious, but I ordered 40 pcs anyway.  They came yesterday, and I tried measuring for Vp, and got all below-spec numbers.

I noticed that they all had a batch/mfr code of D513.  So I did a google image search, and saw multiple AliExpress listings with that same code.  And we all know everything on AliExpress is fake, right?

I've never had a problem with Tayda before, but thought I'd put a warning out there for anybody considering buying some of these.

Maybe they are JFETs of some sort, I don't know, but they're not Fairchild parts, and they're not 2N5952s.  Some of the AliExpress ones have that D513 code, but without the Fairchild logo.

Caveat emptor!

Mark Hammer

While sometimes buying through Aliexpress can be a bit of a gamble, I don't think one can assert that EVERYTHING bought through them is fake.

Just exactly what is Dunlop/MXR using for their various FET-based phasers these days?  Or is the reason why the rest of us can't get Fairchilds because Dunlop bought them all?

davent

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 05, 2021, 06:20:27 PM
While sometimes buying through Aliexpress can be a bit of a gamble, I don't think one can assert that EVERYTHING bought through them is fake.

Just exactly what is Dunlop/MXR using for their various FET-based phasers these days?  Or is the reason why the rest of us can't get Fairchilds because Dunlop bought them all?

I'm out of the loop but aren't a lot, most jfets still available in surface mount versions?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

fowl

It was a bit of humor, that apparently fell flat.  That said, I wouldn't buy anything from them.  And now I'll have reservations about getting anything from Tayda besides basic resistors, caps, and such.  Damn I'm gonna miss Small Bear!

bowanderror

Buying from AliExpress is a bit of an art form, and one that I have yet to master. For JFETs, I always end up searching through the reviews of a bunch of items until I find one with some Vp/Idss measurements or transistor tester screenshots. Even SMD parts from there have become a minefield recently, whereas I never really had problems with mislabelled parts before. I just recently got a strip of BF862 that were all MOSFETs :(

These days, I have to believe any company that consistently uses JFETs in their BOMs is 100% SMD, if only for cost.

For example, even at Mouser there are only 11 through-hole N-Ch JFETs under $1, and they're all Fairchild J109-J113s. Past that you're into the money pit that is InterFET, and I don't know anyone besides military contractors that use those. Of course, you could always try Central Semi for decent selection of 2Nxxxx & PNxxx-series JFETs, but I doubt many could handle their 2000-4000 minimum order QTY.

Fortunately, if you look at SMD, there are close to 50 N-Ch JFETs under $1 from Fairchild, ON Semi, and even Toshiba. They've even got decently priced binned, low-noise equivalents to the coveted 2SKxxx-series. And of course, the volume discounts for SMD parts end up much more generous than for through hole.

We all have to hope that the pedal classics survive the next EOL cull, as MMBF5457 (SMD 2N5457) was only recently brought back from the grave. When that day finally comes, as she comes for us all, we'll be left with little old Linear Systems - and let's hope our budgets can handle it...

fowl

^ Sometimes I'll find an old radio or something at a thrift store, and rob germanium transistors out of it.  I wonder what kind of cheap, unwanted equipment might contain through-hole JFETs?  SMD stuff is just too small for me, and keeps getting smaller as my eyes age.

MikeA

I've had some luck with UTSource, they're a consolidator but also have their own stock, and sell both new & used (I assume from tear-downs?).  No 2N5952 at present, but some 2N5457 for example ($1.40 new, $0.40 used in quantity 10.) So far, everything I've sourced from them seems to be legit, as in being marked correctly and testing out the same as the the real thing.  I haven't bought anything from their marketplace sellers so far, just from their own stock. 
  • SUPPORTER

bowanderror

Quote from: MikeA on October 05, 2021, 10:02:57 PM
I've had some luck with UTSource, they're a consolidator but also have their own stock, and sell both new & used (I assume from tear-downs?).  No 2N5952 at present, but some 2N5457 for example ($1.40 new, $0.40 used in quantity 10.) So far, everything I've sourced from them seems to be legit, as in being marked correctly and testing out the same as the the real thing.  I haven't bought anything from their marketplace sellers so far, just from their own stock. 

That website is a rabbit hole!

If it's reliable, it would be a great option for obsolete & rare components. Some unbelievable prices as well, but it seems like the minimum order QTY & shipping costs (~$8 min) add up pretty quickly. Do know if they combine shipping if you order from the same seller, like if you only buy from UTCSource stock? I wonder what the difference is between "UTCSource" and "UTCSource Original Store".

GibsonGM

Sounds like we need a topic (sticky) for "Reliable parts retailers" considering Small Bear is going into hibernation...I have a big list right now, and I'm afraid to pull the trigger on much of it due to the above stories!   Could include good sellers on Ebay or whatever place they're at...I came THIS close to buying some tinsel and garland from Aliexpress just yesterday.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

MikeA

Quote from: bowanderror on October 05, 2021, 10:42:20 PM
...Do know if they combine shipping if you order from the same seller, like if you only buy from UTCSource stock? I wonder what the difference is between "UTCSource" and "UTCSource Original Store".
So far I've made orders in the $30-$40 USD range to make shipping worthwhile, and they've combined everything into one shipment.  They seem to use a bulk ship process, then break it out for local delivery within the destination country, and I recall reasonable transit times not unlike Tayda.  I"m not clear on the difference between UTSource and Original Store.
  • SUPPORTER