Help with what I think is a ground issues with multiple pedals on my board

Started by mtdelcon, September 28, 2020, 07:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtdelcon

I'm hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having with a few DIY pedals on my board; I think it is ground related, but I'll admit I'm pretty new and unknowledgeable about this stuff, so I'm not sure ultimately...
I have a board with 8 pedals.  It starts with a Boss TU-2 and ends with a Ditto looper.  I don't think either of those two are involved with the problem.  The 6 pedals in the middle are all DIY clones, in this order: Cornish OC-1, Tube Screamer w mods, Klon, Cornish SS-3, Luna Tremolo, and Mad Prof Deep Blue Delay.  (I'm not sure all that matters, but I'm trying to give as much info as possible.)
Here's the problem: Sometimes, but not all the time, when I step on the switch of a pedal, I get a loud, continuous static sound, loud enough that I can't hear guitar at all.  It started happening with my TS clone, so I figured it was just a bad switch and, when I got some money and could order a batch of parts, I'd just replace out the switch.  But then it started happening with the tremolo, too.  So I'm wondering if I could have two bad switches?  But, here's the part that really confuses me: when this happens and it started by switching on the trem (for example), if I press the switch of my delay or the ts just a bit (but not enough to actually engage the switch on/off), the static noise goes away or at least gets much much quieter.  Same thing if the TS started the problem, and I half-switch the tremolo or the delay.  So, it seems to me the problem isn't with a faulty switch if another switch in the chain will affect the crackling.  The other thing to note is that if i half-press my klon or cornish switches when the static is happening, it doesn't affect anything.  The only difference i can see is that the klon and cornish are all buffered bypass and the trem, ts, and delay are all true bypass.

One catch to all this, that may or may not matter, is that I build my own wood enclosures and shield them with copper tape  (I posted pics of them in a different forum).  I transplanted my TS into a new enclosure when it started giving me problems, and it was still a problem in the new enclosure.  Plus, I'm not having any issues with the buffered bypass pedals that are all in similar wood enclosures. 

Let me know if pics of the guts or schematics or other info would help.

I really appreciate anyone's help.  I've come to the forum before with questions, so I know folks here are really patient and want to help. Thanks in advance.

choklitlove

there's a lot going on, but a couple things come to mind to check:
1.  make sure all of your patch cables are good.  (almost sounds like the movement from hitting the switches is making/breaking a short)
2.  I would like to see how you do your "offboard" wiring.  the switch/jacks/etc.  maybe there is something you have always done but don't realize the issues it could cause.  for instance, do you normally wire the switch to ground the circuit in the "bypass" position?
3.  please provide details on the power source(s) for all of the pedals.

good luck!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

mtdelcon

Thanks so much for your reply!
I only had an hour or so to mess around with this after work, but here's what happened...
I took the two pedals that were giving me problems (the trem and ts) off my board and ran each separately to my amp.  I powered them with a 5-input daisy chain supply I had laying around.  I ran the trem first: the first time i switched it on, it gave me the static sound.  But after that first switch-on, I couldn't get it to produce the static again.  I then tried the ts, and the same thing happened: it gave me the static when i first switched it on, but it didn't do it after that.  I then ran both together (using a spare patch cable i had laying around), and i didn't get any static at all and I prob played 30 minutes and turned each pedal on and off a dozen times.  So it doesn't seem to be a problem with the pedals themselves (I think).
My pedalboard runs a Voodoo Pedal Power 2 Plus.  But it's one I got used on eBay, and one of its eight outputs is dead.  So, here's my question: is it possible that the voodoo lab was supplying bad power, somehow only affecting my true bypass pedals, and that they somehow stored up bad power that they expelled when i ran them with a different power source tonight?  As you can tell, I don't know much about power or circuits, so this might be a silly question.
Tomorrow, I'll put the trem and ts back on my pedalboard and use the original patch cables but power those two with the daisy chain i used tonight.  if it doesn't give me problems, it must be my voodoo labs?  is that gives me problems, then it must be the original patch cables, right?