For those who have built Fuzz Face from Smallbear pairs

Started by spi, October 01, 2020, 01:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spi

Hi,
I recently received a transistor pair for the Fuzz Face I ordered from Smallbear.   It came not only with transistors, but with resistors to use in the circuit (which I assume were selected to properly bias). 

I'm curious, to those who built from Smallbear sets, did you add a trim pot for biasing, or did you forgo the trim pot and just use the supplied resistors in your board?

I'm wondering if I should even bother with a trim pot (the pcb has space for one).   Does it still help to have ability to adjust bias?

spi

duplicate

aron

Use the supplied resistors, Steve does it right. Sounds like one of your first builds, don't make it more difficult than it is. Later one you can wire one on perfboard and use trimmers and transistor sockets.

willienillie

It should bias up with the supplied resistors, but I would recommend a trimmer anyway.  That would allow you to compensate for temperature variation (assuming germanium), and really there's not only one good bias setting.  I recently played a friend's Analogman Sun Face with the Sun Dial (external small-range bias adjustment knob), and it was a useful control.

LightSoundGeometry

if you have a chance to use a variable resistor instead of a fixed resistor without losing any space its a must imho especially on a bias control; as mentioned above could be useful , temp, age etc

I just got me a set of "flat hats"