Lich King's Dark Knight chorus

Started by elvis_alive_diy, October 08, 2020, 09:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elvis_alive_diy

I just finished analog chorus based on Lich King circuit. I extended output part of the circuit a bit, adding fx Tone and fx Level controls inspired by Archangel circuit. It provides really wide sound options to me now.
Also added circuit to blink LED depending on Rate setting and to control LEDs brightness by trims. LED under 3PDT switch has two colors, red always blinks in Rate tempo, then blue switches on when chorus is activated, looks really cool.

I used original Lich King PCB and only extended it by small PCB covering my part.

Design is intentionally very dark to match the name :D

elvis_alive_diy

After using this chorus for few weeks, I found small problem in the original Lich King chorus circuit. When I used only DigiTech Drop pedal in front of it, I got really bad cracks from the chorus (related to LFO speed also). I believe the same problem may appear with other digital effects in front of it, as the circuit is missing high frequency filtering before the BBD IC, and digital effects can generate high frequency artifacts from D/A conversion. Solution is as easy as 1nF cap in parallel to R4 (47k res in the feedback of the first OpAmp), which creates low pass filter with cut around 3kHz. Problem solved 8)