Adding the noise gate mod to a Big Muff

Started by jimitrader, October 16, 2020, 02:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimitrader

Adding the noise gate mod to a Big Muff (http://www.kitrae.net/music/Big_Muff_Mods_and_Tweaks_Page.html)
Has anyone tried this mod? it seems to be an old trick? was just wondering if anyone here has tried it? i have built a space patrol by the dead astronaut ..sounds great but  has usual Big Muff noise..gonna try using a shielded input as well

rankot

I'm currently building one, so I will try all those mods.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: jimitrader on October 16, 2020, 02:16:38 AM
Adding the noise gate mod to a Big Muff (http://www.kitrae.net/music/Big_Muff_Mods_and_Tweaks_Page.html)
Has anyone tried this mod? it seems to be an old trick? was just wondering if anyone here has tried it? i have built a space patrol by the dead astronaut ..sounds great but  has usual Big Muff noise..gonna try using a shielded input as well

i gotta mod for the big muff circuit too. put a ge diode in parallel with <if memory serves> d3.  don't know why it works, but it nukes most of the background noise at the expense of a tiny bit of gain.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

JerS

The mod on the Kit Rae page for noise gate works very well. I have used it many times. It basically changes the bias on the transistor to cut off when the signal drops.

Fancy Lime

I have used the "misbias noise gate" in a few pedals (not Muffs, though). It works well and adds an interesting sound option as well because it does affect the sound. This may or may not be wanted. With high gain pedals, I usually prefer a pair of antiparallel diodes in the signal path near the end. E.g. just after Q3 in a Muff. Put a 1-10n cap to ground after the diodes for an even more effective gate. BAT42 Schottkys are my favorite for that. Normal silicon diodes have too high a voltage drop and therefore cause too much volume drop and crossover distortion.

HTH,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Mark Hammer

It works, and I used it as a noise-killer in a ring modulator.  But just note that it will subtract some level from the output.  A Muff will have more than enough level to compensate, but know to expect it.