[Notch filter musing] Why can't pirates recite the entire alphabet?

Started by EBK, October 16, 2020, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Because they get lost at C.

I do not know what this circuit will actually sound like, but I don't care at this moment.  I'm just having fun!  :icon_cool:

It is a pair of Fliege notch filters, with notches at 130.81Hz and 261.63 Hz, corresponding to musical notes C3 and C4.  Intended to be silly rather than useful.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on October 16, 2020, 09:47:40 AM
what's R again?
If I ever end up redrawing it, I promise I will replace all occurrences of "R" with the less ambiguous "Arrr".   :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

I do actually have this built, by the way.  I just haven't had the opportunity to fire it up yet.
  • SUPPORTER

11-90-an

Quote from: EBK on October 16, 2020, 09:40:32 AM

That looks very neat... I wish I can draw that nicely... :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Imagine if you had a randomized way of selecting frequencies to cancel so while playing there's a chance that no note will ring out... :icon_lol:

Also, what's that heatshrink-d package over there on your breadboard? a PSU filter/VREF generator?
flip flop flip flop flip

EBK

Quote from: 11-90-an on October 16, 2020, 11:44:41 AM
Also, what's that heatshrink-d package over there on your breadboard? a PSU filter/VREF generator?
Yes, a Vref generator.  It's a small piece of vero board with an op amp, two resistors, and a capacitor.  Apply a voltage across the red and black wires, and you get a buffered V/2 on the green wire.  I built it for another project, but thought it would be convenient to use it here.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteYes, a Vref generator.  It's a small piece of vero board with an op amp, two resistors, and a capacitor.  Apply a voltage across the red and black wires, and you get a buffered V/2 on the green wire.  I built it for another project, but thought it would be convenient to use it here.
That's a really cool idea.   Just build one and use it for all your breadboard projects.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

Quote from: Rob Strand on October 16, 2020, 06:06:40 PM
QuoteYes, a Vref generator.  It's a small piece of vero board with an op amp, two resistors, and a capacitor.  Apply a voltage across the red and black wires, and you get a buffered V/2 on the green wire.  I built it for another project, but thought it would be convenient to use it here.
That's a really cool idea.   Just build one and use it for all your breadboard projects.
Thanks!
Here are the details, for anyone interested:

• SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Do I get a prize for predicting pirate jokes before I'd scrolled down?   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Rob Strand

QuoteDo I get a prize for predicting pirate jokes before I'd scrolled down?
I could only come up with seven C's.   For wooden legs, hooks and parrots we need experts like you and EBK.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

Quote from: Rob Strand on October 17, 2020, 08:01:30 AM
QuoteDo I get a prize for predicting pirate jokes before I'd scrolled down?
I could only come up with seven C's.   For wooden legs, hooks and parrots we need experts like you and EBK.
We really just need more circuit ideas inspired by dad jokes and other terrible puns.  :icon_razz:

A bit of an update:  Despite somewhat careful wiring, the circuit didn't work at first go.  I will measure the DC voltages and then audio probe it sometime to figure out where it is going wrong.  As it stands now, I get only the slightest signal through, regardless of frequency, with a brief chirp if I hit the strings hard.  Not giving up yet though.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Rob Strand

QuoteAs it stands now, I get only the slightest signal through, regardless of frequency, with a brief chirp if I hit the strings hard.  Not giving up yet though.
It would be really funny if you could cancel one note.  You tune the notches just above the exact note so when you bend the string the sound dies.   Then take it to a guitar tech and say I've got this weird dead spot on my guitar when I bend.

anotherjim

Pirates can't get lost, they know exactly where they HaHarrrrgh.

But as drawn, the amps have positive DC feedback via R1, R5 so the slightest DC offset in the amps and they are off to jamb into a power rail. So as Stephen predicted, the R's have it.

EBK

Quote from: anotherjim on October 18, 2020, 04:09:00 AM
But as drawn, the amps have positive DC feedback via R1, R5 so the slightest DC offset in the amps and they are off to jamb into a power rail. So as Stephen predicted, the R's have it.
I found this curious statement in a doc from TI regarding the pros and cons of Fliege notch filters:
"Unfortunately, this circuit uses two op amps instead of one, and it cannot be implemented with a fully differential amplifier."

What does "cannot be implemented with a fully differential amplifier" mean?  Does it explain what is going wrong?
  • SUPPORTER

bushidov

QuoteWe really just need more circuit ideas inspired by dad jokes and other terrible puns.
Time to make pedals with Sziklai Pairs and call them "sick", "plagued", "disease", "scurvy", "COVID-19", the list goes on.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Rob Strand

QuoteWhat does "cannot be implemented with a fully differential amplifier" mean?  Does it explain what is going wrong?
A fully differential amplifier is one that has differential inputs *and* differential outputs.      TI brought out fully differential amplifiers and they would have fully differential low-pass filters as anti-aliasing filters before differential AtoD inputs.

It's not a limitation to get worried about  :).    It won't be a *cause* of any problems as it is a limitation in the topology.   Fliege should works fine with normal opamps.

EBK

• SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

OK, here's a sim with a few notes.

I think the problem is the pot adjusts the notch depth but it changes the frequency.
If you want a deep notch *and* an adjustable frequency you will have to tune two resistors.