Silicon FF transistors

Started by bonehead1972, October 18, 2020, 01:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonehead1972

Hi guys,

Just took apart some old junk and got a few silicon trannies to92. PNP. Hfe within the 85-135 range. They have 3 color bands on the back side and no name/type on the front.That's cool...

I am wondering if someone could help me to identify that type of transistors.

Marcos - Munky

With no marks at all, it's basically impossible to identify them.

bonehead1972

Thanks for your reply!
Ok..under a magnifying glass there is something barely readable...most likely  bc327 or bc187.  Breadborded the thing, voltages are good and sounds good
Cheers!

willienillie

I've never been able to make any sense of the colored stripes on transistors.  It doesn't correspond to the type, nor any particular spec as far as I can tell.  Might be completely different from one manufacturer to the next.

R.G.

Let me add to what willienillie said: the color codes may be almost anything. They probably meant something at one time to either the manufacturer or the company that bought a bunch of specially selected transistors. But any meaning would have been local to that manufacturer or buyer, and is probably lost.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Rob Strand

At the end of the day chuck them in the circuit and trim the value of the resistor  on Q2's collector to get a collector voltage of about 4.8V and it will pretty much be there.  Beyond that you can play with input cap values and add small caps across the BC junctions of the transistors.

FWIW, you can narrow down the transistors from the pin out,

That and the gain probably narrows it down to several hundred possible options  :icon_mrgreen:.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

11-90-an

Have you checked the pinouts with a MM?
flip flop flip flop flip

bonehead1972

Thanks for your help guys!
  to summarize..what I was able to see under magnifying glass, pinout and gain ranges specified..They are bc327.
I imeditely got q1c- 1.39v, q2c -4.84v with no resistor tweaks whatsoever and sounds good:)

Steben

BC187 have a higher minimum hfe (140) listed than BC327 (100).
A BC327-16 is even selected for a hfe between 100 and 250. This may well match with what you have.
I'ld say they are on paper ideal FF silicon trannies.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

bonehead1972

Yes...they all measured  within 85-145 hfe range. And they sound good