Fastest way to transfer toner on board (maybe?)

Started by ghiekorg, October 21, 2020, 08:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghiekorg

Today i wanted to prepare a board and when i have put the iron on the paper i noticed it moved  :icon_evil: So i said some bad words and i peeled off the paper and... VoilĂ , the toner was PERFECTLY attached to the copper.  :o

So i made a quick video of the really easy process. 2 minutes, no water. I never saw this method around (maybe it's just me)

Let me know if you saw it already or if you have an even faster way :)

Ciao :D

EBK

Quote from: ghiekorg on October 21, 2020, 08:04:18 AM
So i said some bad words and i peeled off the paper and... VoilĂ , the toner was PERFECTLY attached to the copper.  :o
Do I have to say specific bad words, or will any bad words work?  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

ghiekorg

ahahhaah the trick is they have to be in italian :D

Mark Hammer

My former office-mate from Milan only taught me a few.  And one was the phrase "Che cazzo FAH-te?" (pardon the spelling).  This is a question I think is appropriate here.

First, it is usually very important to let the board cool down before removing the paper.  I normally press against the board+paper using two big aluminum heatsinks to speed up how quickly it cools.  I don't know what is different about the materials you are using, but if I don't let it cool completely, the toner tends to stick to the paper not the copper board.

I usually iron my toner layouts on a nice flat piece of wood, so that I can press down without harming anything else and make sure I get all the toner to transfer to the copper.  There will often be edges or areas in the middle that may not transfer well unless I can press down everywhere.

So how does a simple press on top of a towel improve things?  Is there steam involved somehow?

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

I have always wondered if T-shirt presses would work good for toner transfer.

Anybody have any experience with it?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

ghiekorg

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 21, 2020, 08:46:34 AM
My former office-mate from Milan only taught me a few.  And one was the phrase "Che cazzo FAH-te?" (pardon the spelling).  This is a question I think is appropriate here.
hahahaa was your office-mate from tuscany? :D

QuoteFirst, it is usually very important to let the board cool down before removing the paper.
I thought that too. Till today.

Quoteif I don't let it cool completely, the toner tends to stick to the paper not the copper board.
For me it's more the opposite. When it's hot the toner stays on the board (with a thin layer of paper as you see in the clip). When it cools down the toner becomes like a glue between paper and copper.

QuoteThere will often be edges or areas in the middle that may not transfer well unless I can press down everywhere.
Yeah usually i do it on the floor, so i can press a lot better. The clip is just to show (you can't see but during the 2 minutes i was with my whole body on the iron :D)

QuoteSo how does a simple press on top of a towel improve things?  Is there steam involved somehow?
Usually i put a thick blanket and the this green towel. The paper i just started to use it today. I think it helps to "connect" the 2 flat surfaces... maybe.

Quote from: GGBB on October 21, 2020, 08:48:19 AM
Nice. What kind of paper were you using?
Normal cheap photopaper. the cheapest i could find. This one is called "europe 100 by Avery Zweckform Economy"
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRN0IrV8f1cyjD6XmIT6i2GFLKVEkvns01VWw&usqp=CAU

ghiekorg

just a quick post: today, as written in another post, i made a small delay pedal. I tried once more the "hot and quick" method and here is the result:

It's almost perfect. Good enough that i didn't need to retouch anything. just straight into the ferric chloride

Mark Hammer

I, for one, am baffled by the superb quality you manage to achieve, doing the exact opposite of what I have to do in order to get reasonable results.

Marcos - Munky

I tried something similar before, just peeling the paper with the board still hot and also after it cooled. The paper plays a big role on this. Some papers can be easily peeled off, while others stick to the toner and you have to use water. Different brands and different grammages affects the result. Since you know the brand of the one you're using, keep using the same one so you can get the same result.