Stereo switching jack with ring shunt

Started by skern, October 21, 2020, 11:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skern

Hi guys. I'm wondering if a specific type of stereo jack exists. I know there are such things as tip shunts and ring shunts, i.e. the tip and/or ring is connected a different way depending on whether a plug is inserted or not. However, I'm wondering if there is a type of ring shunt where the ring is connected a different way only if a stereo plug is connected but not if a mono plug is connected. My gut tells me 'no' because the two plugs are identical physically, but you never know.

FiveseveN

You can't do it physically, as you noted. But if you could detect whether the ring and sleeve are shorted through electronic means, if that's what you're after. What would you need such a jack for?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

skern

Quote from: FiveseveN on October 22, 2020, 03:05:36 AM
You can't do it physically, as you noted. But if you could detect whether the ring and sleeve are shorted through electronic means, if that's what you're after. What would you need such a jack for?
I am going to install a stereo jack in my guitar for stereo output. However, sometimes I will play the guitar mono. Therefore I want the wiring and switches to run different ways based off whether a stereo plug or mono plug is inserted. Do you think it's possible?

FiveseveN

I'm sure it's possible, but it entirely depends on the specifics of "to run different ways". The part that detects whether the ring is grounded or connected to a high-Z input is trivial.
If there's a bunch of switching involved, you're probably not going to use relays in a guitar, so you'll need CMOS switches. And probably buffers. Then again, who knows? With no details, I'm just speculating.
An alternative solution would be to use separate jacks for mono and stereo outs. With switching jacks you might be able to achieve what you need passively (again, speculation).
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

merlinb

Quote from: FiveseveN on October 22, 2020, 05:24:18 AM
I'm sure it's possible, but it entirely depends on the specifics of "to run different ways".
+1. More explanation needed.

kraal

Quote from: skern on October 22, 2020, 03:59:37 AM
I am going to install a stereo jack in my guitar for stereo output.

Hi,

How are you planning to do it ? I mean will the Left / Right signals come from two different mics or single mic ?
Do you plan to have active circuitry in your guitar or not (such as buffering) ?
Why not using a stereo jack and a flat pushbutton (anti vandal type) switch to be able to select between (splitting the signal then) sending the L/R signals to the tip/ring when in stereo, or sending the signal  to the tip if in mono ?

skern

Quote from: FiveseveN on October 22, 2020, 05:24:18 AM
I'm sure it's possible, but it entirely depends on the specifics of "to run different ways".
Ok, I've figured out all the specifics. The guitar is a Mustang which means it has two 3-way slider switches. Originally I thought I could do everything required with only one of those switches (leaving the other available for something entirely different) and with this idealized ring-shunt jack that doesn't exist. Now I've realized that I will need both switches, but even them I'm having loads of trouble figuring out if this is even possible. Here's what I want:

Neck pickup = split single coil, i.e. with two hot wires, one for bass strings and one for treble
Bridge pickup = humbucker
TRS jack

As each switch has 3 positions, I figure it's possible to have 9 configurations, which ideally will be as follows:

SWITCH A 1st position
SWITCH B 1st position: bridge in series to tip
SWITCH B 2nd position: bridge/neck in series to tip
SWITCH B 3rd position: neck in series to tip

SWITCH A 2nd position
SWITCH B 1st position: bridge in series to ring
SWITCH B 2nd position: bridge/neck in series to ring
SWITCH B 3rd position: neck in series to ring

SWITCH A 3rd position
SWITCH B 1st position: bridge split into stereo to tip/ring (i.e. one half of humbucker sent to tip, the other sent to ring)
SWITCH B 2nd position: neck split into stereo to tip/ring (i.e. one half of split-single sent to tip, the other sent to ring)
SWITCH B 3rd position: neck combined in series and then split into stereo to tip/ring

Of course the ordering doesn't have to be in this specific arrangement. Is this possible? Too complicated? The way these switches function is really annoying (i.e. there's no common) so I'm struggling to figure this out.

Quote from: kraal on October 22, 2020, 09:44:04 AMHi,

How are you planning to do it ? I mean will the Left / Right signals come from two different mics or single mic ?
Do you plan to have active circuitry in your guitar or not (such as buffering) ?
Why not using a stereo jack and a flat pushbutton (anti vandal type) switch to be able to select between (splitting the signal then) sending the L/R signals to the tip/ring when in stereo, or sending the signal  to the tip if in mono ?
I want a single TRS jack so I can plug a Y-split cable into the guitar and run one half through one FX chain and the other through another FX chain. There will be no active circuity. I also want the ability to send everything to either the tip or the ring (see above).

anotherjim

You might do it like Rickenbacker - 2 sockets, one TS the other TRS. When the TRS is empty, its ring normal switch contact routes the signal to  mix with the TS tip. When the TRS is used, the ring signal will disconnect from the mono mix.