Has anyone built the overdrive from Brain Wampler's basic overdrive video?

Started by mrahc_jftd, October 23, 2020, 01:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrahc_jftd

Heyo!

Very new to this all! At the moment I've managed to do B.Wampler's boost circuit from his other video and I'm trying to up the ante now and do the basic overdrive from his video! (On a breadboard)

Just wondering if anyone's followed along and successfully put it together?

I'm having real trouble wrapping my head around how the power stage is supposed to be put together.

Trying to look at a schematic and then put that down on a breadboard physically is really frying my brain at this point! If any one knows of any resources that illuminates how to make the leap from schematic to physical circuit that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everybody ❤️
(Schematic should be attached for reference)

11-90-an

flip flop flip flop flip

mrahc_jftd

Hi and thank you ❤️

This is the circuit I was able to pull off!

He's such a great guy for providing those resources.

The biggest wall I'm hitting at the moment is the power stage from the overdrive circuit he did. I can't seem to figure out how that's supposed to look once it's put into a bread board/circuit 😓

11-90-an

Something like this... connect the blue wire to where it needs to go in the schematic

flip flop flip flop flip

deadastronaut

^as above, its called a 'voltage divider' which gives half the 9v supply....so 4.5v

to 'bias' the opamp. 

have fun
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Mark Hammer

I know I should breadboard, but circuits like this I tend to simply build on perfboard, largely because breadboard and stripboard/vero oblige layouts that don't visually correspond to the schematic for me.  Personally, I find it easier to check over a perfboard build than a breadboard build.  But that may be my own shortcoming.

In recent years, I've taken to using the machined-pin header strips, like these, and break off chunks to serve as sockets for ICs or transistors.  The thing I like about them is that it provides enough elevation that there is enough space underneath the chip to situate connecting wires or components like smaller feedback caps and resistors.

I've not attempted Brian's basic overdrive, but it is essentially a Tube Screamer, and should provide pleasing overdrive.  The output level will not be huge, and the tone control won't be as obvious as an actual TS-9, but it will sound decent and warm, though with the typical sort of mids of a TS.  If you'd like a slightly more "balanced" tone, I will suggest using a 2k2 and 330nf cap in series, and placing that pair in parallel with R46/C28, as a second "ground leg".  That will provide a bit more bottom end, without being too "woofy".  It should end up being slightly warmer-sounding.  The stock circuit rolls off bottom around 720hz, like a TS, and yields up to 501x gain.  The addition I suggest allows for up to around 228x gain for content below 720hz, with a bass rolloff starting around 220hz.

Gus

A web site that has been on the web for some time, there is a link in the links at the top of the page.

http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=217

Do people use the links that are at the top of the page?

mrahc_jftd

I can't thank you guys enough for the help.

I really appreciate it and I'm looking forward to getting back at it now that I've woken up haha!