Boss DS-1 MIJ Mod - Sound Cuts Out at High Distortion?

Started by andy-rockstar, October 24, 2020, 06:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy-rockstar

Started my first attempt at pedal mods recently, with a Boss DS-1 I picked up for a reasonable price at the local Goodwill store.  After looking the the lengthy threads covering DS-1 mods, I decided to go with the simple MIJ mod posted by 5thumbs. After completing the mod, everything seems to work well, except that when the distortion knob goes past 2:30 or 3:00 the sound cuts out completely.

For the clipping diodes I just did a straight swap for 1N4150s as mentioned in the instructions, so I don't think that's the culprit.  But I don't know what else in the distortion circuit would cause the sound to cut out...maybe there's something in the output buffer that's not working right?  Or maybe the incoming signal is just too hot? I'm playing on an old low-end Washburn with stock pickups so I'm skeptical of the guitar causing the problem.  Unfortunately I don't have another guitar to test to isolate the guitar as the issue...anything else I should look at?

GibsonGM

Maybe the pot is bad?  You can test it with a multimeter from wiper to end in the location that goes dead...

Welcome to the forum, let us know if that's it!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...