Looking for small and insulated 1/4 jacks with solder lugs

Started by kraal, October 24, 2020, 06:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kraal

Hi,

I'm looking for small (max 15mm x 13mm) insulated (plastic bore/nut/thread) 1/4 in jacks such as the ACJM-PVB series [1] but with solder lugs instead of PCB pins.
Do you have any suggestion about a part that would match this requirement ?

Thank you in advance !

[1] https://www.amphenolaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/55010547000111_acjx-pvb-x.pdf

anotherjim

I'm not sure they exist. This jack design is for vertical mounting in a mixer where the pcb will be spaced under and level with the top panel and carry all the other controls along with the jacks to form channel strips.

PCB pins are solder lugs, if you pretend they are! That's what I do with this type.

kraal

Hi,

Thankyou for your answer. Indeed soldering wires directly to PCB pins was my B plan.
I was just wondering if I could find another solution that would provide a more "solid" result.
Note that having the pins placed as on the example jack I provided is not "mandatory".

Regards,

bartimaeus

look for Amphenol ACJS-MIVS-3S, it's the lug equivalent

anotherjim

If narrow width is necessary, I have in the past cheated and used cable mount sockets - cutting the back half of the cover off and using the threaded end as the nut - not ideal because you have to tighten from inside. There are also the ones used for guitars (direct in wood mounting) which are the same thing really, but you get a nut and there is a dedicated jack screen contact along with the expected tip and ring (if stereo) as well as a tag for the shell.

kraal

Quote from: bartimaeus on October 24, 2020, 04:37:37 PM
look for Amphenol ACJS-MIVS-3S, it's the lug equivalent

Unfortunately, it has solder lugs yes, but it is not equivalent. the other requirements are not met (especially from a size perspective) [1]

[1] https://www.amphenolaudio.com/products/14-2/m-series/

kraal

Quote from: anotherjim on October 24, 2020, 04:45:54 PM
If narrow width is necessary, I have in the past cheated and used cable mount sockets - cutting the back half of the cover off and using the threaded end as the nut - not ideal because you have to tighten from inside. There are also the ones used for guitars (direct in wood mounting) which are the same thing really, but you get a nut and there is a dedicated jack screen contact along with the expected tip and ring (if stereo) as well as a tag for the shell.

I'll have a look at this idea, thanks. Otherwise i'll see if using quick terminals to make the soldering more solid can be a viable solution.

anotherjim

I'm not sure if the pins of the pcb ones are on a 0.1" matrix, if they are, you might be able to cut a piece of perfboard to act as a wiring aid. Funnily enough, some of the pins on the ones I have have little holes - like needle eyes - but I think they identify the switched contacts from the jack contacts.