INDEPENDENT CONSTANT CROSSOVER DISTORTION anyone interested?

Started by iainpunk, October 25, 2020, 06:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iainpunk

so i came across a thread about clipping and had the concept of 'dynamic crossover' i wasn't sure what was meant, but this is what i came up with.

it takes out the middle section of a wave independent of amplitude. crossover distortion without gating. does anyone think there is a use for this???

i won't be able to test this before tuesday so if anyone has a leftover breadboard and enough interest, please go ahead.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

mozz

Will it sound like a cold biased EL84? Maybe a bit like a 18watt?
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

i think it would sound different than a cold bias valve, since it messes with both wave halves independent of amplitude. where the cold bias is more noticeable with lower volumes, this is independent of volume and the knee is waaaaaaaayyyyy harder
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Steben

Independent of volume? Than it is not dynamic, right?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

iainpunk

Quote from: Steben on October 26, 2020, 02:01:27 AM
Independent of volume? Than it is not dynamic, right?

its dynamic in the sense that its not a constant voltage that is crossover distortion-ed out, it is a set portion of the input voltage. the simulations give the same waveshape at 50mV or 5V. so the crossover threshold is dynamic... i guess... im not really shure, idk if you have seen my response in the 'members only area' thread about clipping?

cheers, Iain

cheers

Steben

Example of dyn X-over and drive with a rising sine input

Since a portion gets "eaten" the RMS value does not go up linearly. It can go from compression to even decline depending on the settings. In extreme settings you get that dumped swirling "Squish" sound with the signal coming back clean.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

iainpunk

what kind of schematic would create such an effect? that is really cool! does it have to do with the bias changing along with the input amplitude?

cheers, Iain

edit: no need to answer, you already did in the other thread

cheers