Mark Hammer's STUPIDLY WONDERFUL TONE CONTROL

Started by Vivek, October 26, 2020, 05:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek

I ran into MH's STUPIDLY WONDERFUL TONE CONTROL (SWTC) while analysing Wampler's Ecstasy pedal

Here is what LTSPICE said re the values chosen in the Ecstasy:

Further reading from the revered AMZ :
http://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm

11-90-an

flip flop flip flop flip

Mark Hammer

It's certainly not my idea.  All I did was bring it to people's attention here, and Jack took the handoff and ran it for the touchdown.

Brian's basic circuit does require a small-value resistor in series between the cap and the tone pot, in order for the control to function coherently and predictably.

Note that, because it is single-pole, the effect is subtler than one gets with a TS-style boost-cut tone control.

Vivek

Is it possible to have a STUPIDLY WONDERFUL BASS CONTROL ?

anotherjim

Did you notice what the truncated thread title reads in this forums recent posts links? See, there is reason for placing an apostrophe was in the right place after all!
  :icon_biggrin:

Mark Hammer

Steben

here you go. Just remember while clockwise means "less" (bass ic) just as in a treble control this comes with a linear relation between value of control and corner frequency

f~R (instead of f~1/R)

• SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

amz-fx

Quote from: Vivek on October 26, 2020, 05:02:04 AM
I ran into MH's STUPIDLY WONDERFUL TONE CONTROL (SWTC) while analysing Wampler's Ecstasy pedal

A really nice circuit and I use it frequently in pedals. Thanks, Mark!

Best regards, Jack

Fancy Lime

Yupp, best thing since sliced bread. My favorite tone control by far.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

iainpunk

i haven't put any tone controls on anything i ever build except for 1, an active mid boost. if i ever put a tone control on any of my pedals in the future... maybe... i'll use the 3rd one of this page
Quotehttp://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers