Boss RV-5 input wiring for Rehouse/Combo

Started by frankenteletron, October 28, 2020, 08:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenteletron

Hi. I am combining a simple digital delay with a Boss RV-5 into one enclosure. Would anyone here be willing to diagram or explain this input section of the schematic. I do NOT need to have the stereo inputs available. I'd like to simplify and come from the output of the delay into the RV-5, bypassing these jacks. I just can't tell if that is possible or where to tap in. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

deadastronaut

take your delay out to the left of the R12 10k (mono input)...and add a ground.

should work...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

frankenteletron

Quote from: deadastronaut on October 28, 2020, 08:51:16 AM
take your delay out to the left of the R12 10k (mono input)...and add a ground.

should work...

Great! Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for my ignorance... I just want to understand clearly and confirm before going forward. "Left" is unclear to me on this schematic. Is that by chance the same as connecting the output wire from the delay to the R12 pad where the brown wire (BRN) connects? Also, it looks like the "GRN" wire is my ground, correct? Does this mean I can clip all the remaining wires in this jack assembly (YEL, BLU, ORG, BRN) and toss it?

MikeA

Yes, mono input = BRN (pin 3).  If I'm reading the schematic correctly, using both the brown and the blue inputs (pins 3 & 5) will also keep the second output alive.  I know you don't need stereo in, but for the price of one wire you can have a second mono output.  If so, just tie BRN and BLU together at the PCB and connect those to your delay's output. 

Green (pin 2) goes to ground.

You can clip the yellow and orange leads (pins 4 & 6).  They inform the CPU whether there's a plug in either or both of the inputs, and probably mute the side without a plug.  Clipping them will keep both sides always on if my guess is correct, there's a pull-up on the PCB through R81 and R83.

What to do with the black lead (pin 1) depends on how you're powering the Boss PCB.  It provides the ground to the power section when there's no 9V plug in the power socket.  If you can say more about your power scheme, someone can advise.
  • SUPPORTER

frankenteletron

Quote from: MikeA on October 28, 2020, 03:03:20 PM
Yes, mono input = BRN (pin 3).  If I'm reading the schematic correctly, using both the brown and the blue inputs (pins 3 & 5) will also keep the second output alive.  I know you don't need stereo in, but for the price of one wire you can have a second mono output.  If so, just tie BRN and BLU together at the PCB and connect those to your delay's output. 

Green (pin 2) goes to ground.

You can clip the yellow and orange leads (pins 4 & 6).  They inform the CPU whether there's a plug in either or both of the inputs, and probably mute the side without a plug.  Clipping them will keep both sides always on if my guess is correct, there's a pull-up on the PCB through R81 and R83.

What to do with the black lead (pin 1) depends on how you're powering the Boss PCB.  It provides the ground to the power section when there's no 9V plug in the power socket.  If you can say more about your power scheme, someone can advise.

Thanks! For power I was planning on tying both pcbs hots and grounds to one 9V - neg plug. I have a small pcb (from PedalPCB) that makes this easier.

I agree about keeping the 2nd output for stereo outs. No harm in having that at all.

I'll work on implementing this later tonight.

Thanks again

MikeA

Quote from: frankenteletron on October 28, 2020, 04:16:16 PM
Thanks! For power I was planning on tying both pcbs hots and grounds to one 9V - neg plug. I have a small pcb (from PedalPCB) that makes this easier.

Then you won't need the black lead from pin #1.  Good luck!
  • SUPPORTER

frankenteletron

Hooked it all up but I get no dry signal. It's full wet. Also, no bypass signal on either pedal. Hmmmm.

My RV-5 does have a kill-dry switch mod on it also. I may remove that tomorrow and see if that's somehow the culprit. It might've not survived the rehouse.

frankenteletron

Got it sorted. I had a short on the kill-dry switch. All is well!

Thanks for the help!

Hamilton196

Each guitar blend has a specific sweet recognize that is ideal for lead and harmony work.