Ceramic Caps ok to use?

Started by steveyraff, November 10, 2020, 11:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

I'm having a real nightmare here with our postal system. I have about 3 customers waiting for pedals that are long overdue now.

They are finished, except I ran out of 10nf Mylar Polyester caps. I ordered 100 of them well over a week ago. Normally my parts arrive in 48hrs if I am buying from this supplier.

As well as the disruption caused by this pandemic, my local post office has FIVE postal workers off sick. The lady who covers my route has to do several now. The guy who works there says their sorting office has literally hundreds of parcels stacked high now as there is a huge, growing backlog.

ANYWAY - I found a bag of little 10nf ceramic caps. They are part of a dirt cheap huge box I bought of assorted ceramic cap values. I am hesitant to use these - but I am growing pretty desperate as people are going to start asking me for refunds if I don't get these pedals finished. Would there be any issues with using these? They are non-polarised, for a KOT drive build.

Thanks,
Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

11-90-an

Sorry to hear about that... stuff happens..

Probably would get away with it, depends on which part of the circuit though... but since you're quite in a rush, I guess you can cross your fingers and try it out..
flip flop flip flop flip

garcho

QuoteI am hesitant to use these - but I am growing pretty desperate as people are going to start asking me for refunds if I don't get these pedals finished. Would there be any issues with using these? They are non-polarised, for a KOT drive build.

Of course you can use them, it will sound identical. Why wouldn't you be able to use ceramic? Read up on capacitors, start here for instance, no need to cross any fingers.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

steveyraff

Quote from: garcho on November 10, 2020, 12:47:32 PM
QuoteI am hesitant to use these - but I am growing pretty desperate as people are going to start asking me for refunds if I don't get these pedals finished. Would there be any issues with using these? They are non-polarised, for a KOT drive build.

Of course you can use them, it will sound identical. Why wouldn't you be able to use ceramic? Read up on capacitors, start here for instance, no need to cross any fingers.

I just read other threads citing noise issues.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

idy

A lot of older pedals used ceramic for values<1uf. Film for these values is a modern touch.

I guess I would put them in a pedal and test it.

The noise issue I have found is microphonics. Tap with a pencil and listen. Stomp switch vibration *may* get picked up. How hard is it to solder them in and replace later if necessary?

steveyraff

Quote from: idy on November 10, 2020, 01:26:24 PM
A lot of older pedals used ceramic for values<1uf. Film for these values is a modern touch.

I guess I would put them in a pedal and test it.

The noise issue I have found is microphonics. Tap with a pencil and listen. Stomp switch vibration *may* get picked up. How hard is it to solder them in and replace later if necessary?

Well, considering there is about a dozen of them, and it's all going to be all wired in by then, I'd say it will be moderately  inconvenient. I'm only answering because you asked me that as a question lol.  :)

Thanks for the help though - I'll go for it and give it a try and hope for the best. Knowing my luck the parts I wanted to use will arrive in the morning lol.

Cheers.

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk