2n3906 transistors from Tayda

Started by Yazoo, November 23, 2020, 11:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yazoo

I've just received an order from Tayda, including 2n3906 transistors. Before I soldered them to the pcb, I tested them with one of those little multi-function testers. They all tested as PNP with a fairly consistent hfe of 420-430. I already had some other 2N3906s in stock and they tested in the low to mid 100s, which is what I have seen in the past. I am suspicious of the Tayda 2n3906s. What do you think?

iainpunk

on the trannies themselves, are they labeled 2n3906 A, B or C?, because that is a gain-indicator, the A ones are the low gain ones and the C are the high gain ones, and B is the middle of the road.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

GGBB

Depending on which manufacturer, the 2n3906's upper limit for hFE is 400, so 420-430 measured on a DMM might be within spec. Check the manufacturer-specific data sheet and compare to your results and to your DMM manual's specification for voltage and current used when measuring hFE.
  • SUPPORTER

Yazoo

Thanks for the replies. I checked and they are the B version. The reason for querying them is, while Tayda is generally good, I have had bad transistors from them before, 2N5457s which were out of spec.

iainpunk

what kind of DMM did you use? some can be pretty inaccurate.

in my experience, Hfe doesn't matter to much if its not a fuzz or power amp.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Yazoo

I used one of these little multi-testers. It is very useful and generally pretty accurate.

It was more about if the hfe is wrong, then maybe it's a fake. I've ordered some more and I will check these out when they arrive.

GGBB

Quote from: Yazoo on November 23, 2020, 06:19:30 PM
I used one of these little multi-testers. It is very useful and generally pretty accurate.

It was more about if the hfe is wrong, then maybe it's a fake. I've ordered some more and I will check these out when they arrive.

Meter accuracy isn't the issue. The question is whether or not the meter measures the hFE using the same current and voltage as specified in the device datasheet.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Quote from: GGBB on November 23, 2020, 06:23:40 PM...meter measures the hFE using the same current and voltage as specified in the device datasheet.

Yeahbut... 2N3906 datasheet shows remarkable hFE flatness vs current. hFE is usually not very voltage sensitive, especially on today's devices.

I have a suspicion he has been sold 2N3906-like devices. Which will work well in 97% of 2N3906 applications (high hFE "should" not be a problem). Of course funky pedals may be the exception. But if you NEED beefsteak, don't be buying mystery-meat.
  • SUPPORTER

Ben N

Not from Tayda, but I've gotten 2N3904/2N3906 in the past that were all over the map hfe-wise.
  • SUPPORTER

dennism

I certainly don't have any scientific answers to the question, but out of curiousity I just checked some 2N3906 from Mouser that I got probably 15 years ago.   They measured 300 or so hfe using the same quick and dirty approach as the OP.   No A, B, or C suffix.

I know there is a lot of justified concern about faked transistors, particularly super rare and valuable things like germanium NKT213.   But, since Tayda sells 2N3906 for 2 cents each, how would there be any incentive to make or sell fake ones?

duck_arse

can anyone here show me a photo of a 2N3906B, please? failing that, can anyone find me a 2N3906 datasheet that shows A, B and/or C suffixed parts?

I am curious, as I thort the 2Nxxxx suffix only indicated an improved device, whereas the Pro-Electron series parts can/are/do have [none]/A/B/C gradings.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on November 24, 2020, 08:44:11 AM
can anyone here show me a photo of a 2N3906B, please?

Of course, B (or Q or H) has nonthing to do with hFE classification.. :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

QuoteI am curious, as I thort the 2Nxxxx suffix only indicated an improved device, whereas the Pro-Electron series parts can/are/do have [none]/A/B/C gradings.
i thought the 2Nxxxx means 2 junctions, just like diodes having only one junction being labeled 1Nxxxx. and some mosfets, having 3 junctions, being labeled 3Nxx

QuoteOf course, B (or Q or H) has nonthing to do with hFE classification.. :icon_wink:
doesn't it? i was taught that the A/B/C suffix was a gain indicator with any transistor!?!

cheers

cheers

antonis

Quote from: iainpunk on November 24, 2020, 02:57:27 PM
QuoteOf course, B (or Q or H) has nonthing to do with hFE classification.. :icon_wink:
doesn't it? i was taught that the A/B/C suffix was a gain indicator with any transistor!?!

If so, what about H/Q suffix, like in my photo posted..??  :icon_biggrin:

I mean, one clould get misled from a batch of only B suffix..

As Stephen said, there are no A/B/C hFE gain classification suffixes for 2NXXX series BJTs..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: iainpunk on November 24, 2020, 02:57:27 PM
This is true if you're looking at a BCxxx transistor. A/B/C suffix designates the hfe, being A for the lowest values and C for the highest values.

PRR

IIRC, when 2N devices had different specs, they got different numbers. Occasionally a suffix when an improved device was 100% back-compatible and also suited for bolder designs. 2N301/2N301A. 2N2219/2N2219A. 2N2222/2N2222A. These examples are (IIRC) 20% higher voltage rating, not gain.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteIIRC, when 2N devices had different specs, they got different numbers. Occasionally a suffix when an improved device was 100% back-compatible and also suited for bolder designs. 2N301/2N301A. 2N2219/2N2219A. 2N2222/2N2222A. These examples are (IIRC) 20% higher voltage rating, not gain.
Yep.

The numbers extra numbers and letters on the 2N3904/2N3906's are likely to be manufacturing codes.   Plant numbers and stuff like that (not gain).

This datasheet shows some info,
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/2N3906-D.PDF
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

amptramp

Quote from: Rob Strand on November 24, 2020, 11:02:19 PM
QuoteIIRC, when 2N devices had different specs, they got different numbers. Occasionally a suffix when an improved device was 100% back-compatible and also suited for bolder designs. 2N301/2N301A. 2N2219/2N2219A. 2N2222/2N2222A. These examples are (IIRC) 20% higher voltage rating, not gain.
Yep.

The numbers extra numbers and letters on the 2N3904/2N3906's are likely to be manufacturing codes.   Plant numbers and stuff like that (not gain).

This datasheet shows some info,
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/2N3906-D.PDF

Maybe the extra numbers are the best before date, like the one on a carton of milk.  For germanium, this might actually make sense.

Yazoo

I received some more 2N3906s today and the gain is fairly consistent around 200. I am happy with these. I doubt I will use the Tayda ones.

iainpunk

for 95% of all applications, the gain is set by the surrounding circuitry, hot the Hfe so i doubt that you will have problems with those sketchy ones. (if you want to lower the gain to be about 1/3rd, just swap the collector and emitter, my secret fuzz trick [doesn't work with most germanium's tho])

cheers, Iain

cheers