News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

4049BPC ?

Started by soggybag, November 26, 2020, 03:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

Sorting through the parts bin I found some chips labeled 4049BPC. re these buffered or in buffered? Would they be suitable for Tube Sound Fuzz, Red Llama, UBE Screamer, 22/7 etc?

anotherjim

I'd expect those are buffered so not good for inverter distortions. You should have a "U" in the suffix for the required unbuffered devices.

Fancy Lime

Not sure. The first inverters on the market were all unbuffered, I think, so back then there would have been no reason to mark them as such. Just breadboard a little unity gain linear stage with one of them and try it out. If it sounds like $#!+, the devices are buffered or broken.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Mark Hammer

I see you have a handful of clearly unbuffered chips there, so make your preferred drive, using a socket, try out the BPC chisps to see what happens, and revert back to a UBE if aural satisfaction is not achievable.

soggybag

Confirmed these these chips must be buffered and they totally don't work for amplifier type uses.

blackieNYC

With them you can build the Devi Ever Great Destroyer.  Crazy noisemaker.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

soggybag

Quote from: blackieNYC on November 26, 2020, 10:48:02 PM

Looks Dwarf Craft? This looks pretty simple I might have to give it a try just use these chips up!

danfrank

Or, if you can't use them, I'll trade you unbuffered (UBC) 4049 ICs for those buffered ones you have there. PM me if you are interested.

SmileyNK

Quote from: blackieNYC on November 26, 2020, 10:48:02 PM

I made an account pretty much purely to second this. That's one of my favorite pedals anywhere and it's been surprisingly difficult for me to find those chips. It sounds extremely tame with the unbuffered version. Dwarfcraft was an incredible company, one of the first to get me into the world of weird and boutique pedals.

duck_arse

does anyone have a circuit diagram for that great destroyer thing? if it only uses 3 of the 6 invertors, don't get hung-up on a B series 4049, use any of the quad inverting gates, buffered, obvs, and just tie the input pins on each gate. 4001 or 4011 would do, there will be many others I can't think off head-top.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

anotherjim

I only found layouts for the GD. It do only use 3 inverters. Oddly, all have some feedback resistance just like you do with unbuffered chips. The final stage labelled tone is actually more of a "character" control as it has no filter action.
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2017/11/dwarfcraft-great-destroyer.html
Agree it probably should work with 4011 or whatever.

blackieNYC

• SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

anotherjim

Now that I think about it, each buffered inverter is x3 unbuffered ones in series. Any combinational gate is going to have different innards. So, it might not be possible to use anything other than a 4049B although you can also still find 4069B if you look for them.

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.