The noobiest question on the planet. Help?

Started by sabah310, December 02, 2020, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabah310

Hey guys im trying to build this COB clone, ive already built a couple of wahs and fuzzes and theyre sweet.
Heres the layout:
My question is regarding the capacitors, i have no idea how to shop for them. ive been on mouser all day trying to find the right ones.
So Im assuming from what ive read that C1 C3 C7 C8 C9 C10 are called radial electrolytic capcitors?
if so are these the right ones?
C1: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UBX1V010MPL?qs=oE3VwAv%2FYtmOARZLhMnrhw%3D%3D
C3/7/8/9: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECE-A1CKA100I?qs=rMMd5vBiahr6kIJfUTU%252BFA%3D%3D
C10: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECA-1CHG101I?qs=rMMd5vBiahrwVecJZ2zKdA%3D%3D

And C2 C4 C5 C6 are all called film capacitors?
So these?
C2/4/6: https://eu.mouser.com/manufacturer/bccomponents/
C5: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECQ-E6102KF3?qs=qvPXrfw3upNIXYD%252BxbZKww%3D%3D

I know I know, Its a easy question but i tried to read everything before i posted and im a little confused.
Thanks! ;D

slashandburn

Hey and welcome.

Those electrolytic caps would do the job just fine. Only thing I'd say is you should be able to find 1uf caps with a 2.5mm lead spacing (like the others you linked) as opposed to 5mm.

C2, 4,5,6 you could get away with using ceramic capacitors rather than film, but either will do the job.

No easy questions. Just things you don't know the answer too. Sounds like you've got this.

BJM

Hi,

I noticed you're looking at Mouser, are you planning to buy from them? I noticed their shipping costs are very high for a few capacitors worth cents. There are some specialized webshops in the EU, like musikding and UK-electronics. I think UK-electronics ships also to Serbia and they charge only a few Euro's to send them in a postal letter.

PRR

Mouser has EVERYTHING. Including stuff you have NO interest in. You need lots of experience to sort out the chaff. And you will still order stuff which turns out wrong for your work. Smaller than an ant. Thousands of volts. Left hand threads.

Pedal-specific vendors carry mostly the types of parts "we" need. In the US, Small Bear Electronics is very pedal-friendly. I know there are pedal-leaning shops in UK and EUR. Lowest prices tend to come from asian shops, but some of these have expanded their lines to a bewildering variety.

For the first dozen pedals, it is not about the money. Buy where you are comfortable finding parts.
  • SUPPORTER

elbenoly

Hey!  As someone who is fairly new to this as well (since March), it is easy to get overwhelmed at places like Mouser and Digikey.  What I find helpful is to do what others have said, and look at much smaller stores.  I generally get a lot of my supplies through Tayda (https://www.taydaelectronics.com/).  Selection is much simpler (and cheaper) there, and you can you cross reference them with Mouser to help you learn. 

So in the above image, I've shown you how to see all the electrolytic caps at Tayda.

From there, let's look at 1UF, fairly common size. 

A lot fewer options than Mouser, but still a handful. 

The sabrotone vero says the caps need to be greater than 16V, and all these are. 

The next thing to look at is the size... typically the smaller the better with these electrolytic caps. 

The smallest is 5X11MM and there are 4 of them... I've had good luck with the JB, and it's the cheapest... 2 cents a piece.  Hard to go wrong.

If you click on that you can get to a datasheet.. then try to use Mousers filters to find a similar capacitor there. 

You can do that same kind of exercise with any component.

Note: Mouser is generally higher quality, but at this point I haven't had anything bad from Tayda yet, and bonus, everything comes in neat form fitting pink ziplock bags.

Hopefully that helps somewhat! 

BJM

Most of these shops in also have the build instructions and schematics online, so even if you don't need any parts it can be interesting to visit them  :)

sabah310

Quote from: slashandburn on December 02, 2020, 02:24:17 PM
Hey and welcome.

Those electrolytic caps would do the job just fine. Only thing I'd say is you should be able to find 1uf caps with a 2.5mm lead spacing (like the others you linked) as opposed to 5mm.

C2, 4,5,6 you could get away with using ceramic capacitors rather than film, but either will do the job.

No easy questions. Just things you don't know the answer too. Sounds like you've got this.
Thanks alot man! didnt know that lead spacing mattered, but now i do! thanks a bunch :)

sabah310

Quote from: BJM on December 02, 2020, 02:50:17 PM
Hi,

I noticed you're looking at Mouser, are you planning to buy from them? I noticed their shipping costs are very high for a few capacitors worth cents. There are some specialized webshops in the EU, like musikding and UK-electronics. I think UK-electronics ships also to Serbia and they charge only a few Euro's to send them in a postal letter.
Hey! yea i was looking at banzai and musikding first but then i started looking at mouser and figured id just buy in bulk and be settled for a while. but now with all these options from the post im rethinking it!

sabah310

Quote from: PRR on December 02, 2020, 03:20:01 PM

For the first dozen pedals, it is not about the money. Buy where you are comfortable finding parts.
Ha! ill keep that in mind! and yea mosuer was confusing the customer support was superb though he helped alot with looking for stuff. but it seems that what you said is the consensus! thanks alot!

KarenColumbo

If you really think that was the n00biest question here you haven't had much contact with me yet :)
(I live in Austria, so Musikding.de and Conrad.at are my preferred supplieres. If I were in the US of A I would hit smallbear electronics, because I like their boss. And there's an awesome lotta info on their website.)
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"