New build advice (Arduino)

Started by Brotherkite, December 03, 2020, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotherkite

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to go about a project. I would like to build a midi-controlled TRS-dual TS splitter/a/b/y box to split a stereo guitar signal. I have a bit of experience building this sort of thing minus the midi control, but never needed to design something like this. Basically, I want to have a box that can receive midi program changes to perform a/b/y functions. I am basing this on the RJM Y-not v2.0, which if I could find one for sale, this post would not exist.

Anyway, I have been looking into the Arduino Nano, and while I am a absolute noob when it comes to Arduino, from the projects I've seen that involve it, it seems as though that would work for what I need, but wanted to put this out there to invite suggestions for better options and resources. Thanks!

potul

Any arduino will be able to make it. You just to read MIDI IN through the UART and activate/deactivate some relays.

Do you have already selected how you want to do the switching? (relay, latching/nonlatching, do you need any buffering, etc...)

You can leverage a lot from my MIDI channel switcher project (search for it in this area of the forum). My project is using relays to control an amp, in your case you need the relays to route the signal.

Blackaddr

I would suggest an Arduino Teensy LC rather than the Arduino Nano, it's cheaper, just as easy to use and if you ever want to do anything more compute intensive, the Teensy series gives you more growth at very cheap prices. The Teensy 4 series is powerful enough for full blow DSP modelling.
Blackaddr Audio
Digital Modelling Enthusiast
www.blackaddr.com

niektb

Quote from: Blackaddr on December 12, 2020, 09:19:30 AM
I would suggest an Arduino Teensy LC rather than the Arduino Nano, it's cheaper, just as easy to use and if you ever want to do anything more compute intensive, the Teensy series gives you more growth at very cheap prices. The Teensy 4 series is powerful enough for full blow DSP modelling.

You can get Arduino clones from eBay for 2-3$, that's really cheap 😝

GuitarPhil

Quote from: niektb on December 13, 2020, 03:32:24 AM

You can get Arduino clones from eBay for 2-3$, that's really cheap 😝

True and, another subtle point, the Teensy is not, strictly speaking, an Arduino. Teensy designer Paul Stoffregen has enhanced the Arduino IDE and most of the Arduino libraries to work with his Teensy series.

ElectricDruid

Teensy for a simple MIDI processing job is massive overkill. These things were done in the 1980's with processors that were slower than even the most basic Arduinos. There's almost certainly no need to throw a Teensy at it.
I understand that if you want to do audio DSP, the more powerful members of the Teensy family are clearly the best option, but the OP is not asking about DSP. In fact, they're not even asking about real-time MIDI processing, merely switching a few things on and off when a specific message comes in. In terms of processing load, it could hardly be more basic - definitely not a Teensy job.

garcho

Arduino nano is great for this because it's 5V tolerant and fits nicely on a breadboard, which means nicely on a proto/perf board once you're ready to iron it in place. Manipulating MIDI messages is really easy, almost fun!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"