Adjustable crossover

Started by rankot, December 05, 2020, 04:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankot

I have built an adjustable crossover according to this schematic:

But I modified it to dual supply like this:

I experience a large drop at the output on both bands, and I have no idea why. Do I miss something obvious? There is not a ground connected at the input jack in my drawing, but it's done on the prototype, so that is not the case.

???
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

antonis

Try to make R7 12k (as in original ciruit..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Rob Strand

Input impedance isn't guitar friendly - too low.   Will need to add an input buffer.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

rankot

Quote from: antonis on December 05, 2020, 07:01:32 AM
Try to make R7 12k (as in original ciruit..)
It doesn't help, it just makes different slope.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

Quote from: Rob Strand on December 05, 2020, 07:35:24 AM
Input impedance isn't guitar friendly - too low.   Will need to add an input buffer.

OK, I will. Thanks!

Those impedance topics are something I really can't comprehend. Too much beyond my architectural mind :)
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

Added a NPN buffer from AMZ site and it does the job. No more sucking! Thanks to everyone!
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

iainpunk

so here i was, exited about a cool crossover distortion scheme, but it was a fancy filter  :'( :'(

Quote from: rankot on December 05, 2020, 11:34:26 AM
Added a NPN buffer from AMZ site and it does the job. No more sucking! Thanks to everyone!
we also recommend NOT adding a buffer to girlfriends/wives for the same reason.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: rankot on December 05, 2020, 10:16:22 AM
Those impedance topics are something I really can't comprehend.

Just imagine them as (variable/frequency dependent) resistive voltage dividers.. :icon_wink:

By considering C13 almost short (very low impedance / capacitive reactance) and R2 open (very high resistance compared with R1)(*), circuit input impedance simply is 5k6(R1) 'cause U4.1 inverting input is considered as "virtual ground" (summing point of input and feedback resistors)..
So, you can consider that point "wired" to signal source negative terminal (- pole) due to zero voltage difference between them..
This makes R1 the only resistive element across ideal signal source +/- poles hence the whole signal current is set by signal voltage divided with R1 (Ohm's law)
For real world voltage sources, "internal" resistance (Zs) should be set in series with any external circuit resistance so we result into Zs + R1 total resistance across signal source terminals..
(Zs can be guitar or preceding effect output impedance)
The greater the R1 value the higher the voltage drop across it hence the higher the voltage level on Zs/R1 junction..
(more signal enters into the circuit..) :icon_wink:

(*) R2 & R1 are set in parallel when facing signal input 'cause both end to 0V (GND), consequently both are set across signal source +/- terminals..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

rankot

Quote from: antonis on December 05, 2020, 05:27:45 PM
Quote from: rankot on December 05, 2020, 10:16:22 AM
Those impedance topics are something I really can't comprehend.

Just imagine them as (variable/frequency dependent) resistive voltage dividers.. :icon_wink:

By considering C13 almost short (very low impedance / capacitive reactance) and R2 open (very high resistance compared with R1)(*), circuit input impedance simply is 5k6(R1) 'cause U4.1 inverting input is considered as "virtual ground" (summing point of input and feedback resistors)..
So, you can consider that point "wired" to signal source negative terminal (- pole) due to zero voltage difference between them..
This makes R1 the only resistive element across ideal signal source +/- poles hence the whole signal current is set by signal voltage divided with R1 (Ohm's law)
For real world voltage sources, "internal" resistance (Zs) should be set in series with any external circuit resistance so we result into Zs + R1 total resistance across signal source terminals..
(Zs can be guitar or preceding effect output impedance)
The greater the R1 value the higher the voltage drop across it hence the higher the voltage level on Zs/R1 junction..
(more signal enters into the circuit..) :icon_wink:

(*) R2 & R1 are set in parallel when facing signal input 'cause both end to 0V (GND), consequently both are set across signal source +/- terminals..

Thanks Antonis, I get it now! Nice explanation!
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!