Help Me Think Through Stereo Out

Started by Ripthorn, December 09, 2020, 10:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripthorn

I'm working on a delay somewhat like the Mad Professor Deep Blue. I'm thinking that I might want to play around with (on the breadboard at least) having the dry signal on one side of a stereo jack and the wet signal on the other. The way the effect is currently set up is using the output buffer as a bit of a mixer as well. If I want to send the dry and wet signals out separately, does that mean I need them to each have their own output buffer, or can the dry signal go straight to the jack since it goes through the input buffer already? It seems to me that sending the dry directly to the one output jack should work fine, since it's already getting buffered, and the wet signal can use the output buffer to buffer its signal. Any reason this shouldn't work?
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

garcho

Quoteusing the output buffer as a bit of a mixer as well.

That's called a summing amplifier, it is indeed the basis for most audio signal mixing.

I don't see why what you describe wouldn't work. As long as the dry signal goes from op amp output to output jack via capacitor (maybe with a 100k to ground at the output) everything should be fine. That setup is fantastic by the way, if you haven't already tried something like that. Sending just the wet/repeats through a filter or auto-wah or phaser or a little dirt can sound really cool.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Ripthorn

Thanks, that is what I am thinking. I'll rearrange things on the breadboard and make sure it does what I want.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

iainpunk

yeah, it doesn't need to go through a second buffer if you just want a clean out.

QuoteThat setup is fantastic by the way, if you haven't already tried something like that. Sending just the wet/repeats through a filter or auto-wah or phaser or a little dirt can sound really cool.
or if you want really weird sounds, use a ringmodulator and modulate them over eachother.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers