Buffered bypass in always on pedal

Started by m7b52000, December 12, 2020, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m7b52000

Am I right in thinking that a pedal with buffered bypass could be wired up as true bypass if it were to be used as an "always on" pedal? This would have no effect on the sound of the pedal when switched on?

thanks

FiveseveN

I was confused by the title and then I read the question and got even more confused. Can you rephrase?

Otherwise what difference does it make what happens when it's bypassed if it's always on?
Is always on not the same as never off?!
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

m7b52000

I have built an effect that has buffered bypass. My usual wiring scheme is true bypass and it sounds great on my test rig which is true bypass. I have asked elsewhere and been told that it should be used as is i.e buffered. So my original question stands... :) Is there a problem if I box it up as true bypass?

FiveseveN

The confusion comes from two sets of two things which cannot be true at the same time, i.e. contradictions:

Quote from: m7b52000 on December 12, 2020, 01:34:59 AM
to be used as an "always on" pedal
Does it have a bypass switch or is it always on?

QuoteI have built an effect that has buffered bypass [...] on my test rig which is true bypass.
Does the effect that you have built have buffers or not?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

11-90-an

I think I'm starting to get what you're saying... :icon_lol:

What pedal/effect are you using? If it sounds good unbuffered then that's good... maybe try adding a buffer then decide if there's a difference.
flip flop flip flop flip

m7b52000

Fancy Lime

If you don't intend to ever switch it off, why add a second redundant bypass? Why not just wire the kit up as intended by the supplier?

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

iainpunk

Quote from: m7b52000 on December 12, 2020, 04:52:59 AM
It is a K*** kit
please don't swear on this forum! JK
klone schematics are prohibited on this site, but in 99% of the time, it sound better with a buffered bypass, but that only counts for bypassed.
if you NEVER turn off the klon, you don't need to wire up any bypass. if you plan to bypass, i recommend buffered bypass, since it negates a bunch of problems true bypass has, like tone sucking with long cables and such.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

willienillie

Quote from: iainpunk on December 12, 2020, 07:52:51 AM
i recommend buffered bypass, since it negates a bunch of problems true bypass has, like tone sucking with long cables and such.

That would be a problem long cables have, not true bypass.  True bypass has no problems, though the available switches might.  Buffered bypass can have problems, like restrict the order of effects in a chain, can't have a buffer before a FF, etc.

IMO, if you need a buffer for your long cables, build a buffer pedal, but build it with true bypass.  ;)

iainpunk

but you can't have ANY pedal before a FF, no matter ithe bypass, if its turned on, it will fμck up the sound.
a simple mod to negate the problem is a simple 10k resistor/switch parallel in front of the FF input, before the first capacitor.
it does reduce the noise floor, and it saves a place on your pedal board.
also, cheap dpdt stomp switches can read up to 100 ohm, its not much but it still adds to the noise floor and tone succ.

even the cheapest plastic behringer bypass buffer sucks less than unbuffered. the only buffer i had a problem with tone wise, was the Clyde McCoy wah buffer. the kl0n has an nice opamp buffer that i like a lot.

i'm a huge fan of buffered bypass, but am still a proponent of a buffered/un-buffered dip switch inside, like the Kl0n ktr has on the outside.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

willienillie

Quote from: iainpunk on December 12, 2020, 02:32:53 PM
but you can't have ANY pedal before a FF, no matter ithe bypass

I run a wah into a FF, it's modded with a FoxRox output buffer (DIY copy), and true bypass.  Sometimes I run the Rangemaster into the FF, a fairly extreme sound, but usable if tamed with guitar tone and/or volume control.  True bypass also.  Some people run Tube Screamers into FFs, but not me.  If they do that with a stock, buffered bypass TS, I hope they leave it on.

antonis

Anything set in series without been absolutely necessary is wastage..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GGBB

Quote from: m7b52000 on December 12, 2020, 01:34:59 AM
Am I right in thinking that a pedal with buffered bypass could be wired up as true bypass if it were to be used as an "always on" pedal? This would have no effect on the sound of the pedal when switched on?

Correct.
  • SUPPORTER